Thread: Galapagos #2/Red ...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Galapagos #2/Red ...

Attached Images Attached Images

I created very few Marine Iguana images this trip as compared to previous years. As were were leaving Hood at about 6pm, we stopped to photograph this small one. It rewarded us with a big yawn. Two clipped toes were repaired. Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/200 sec. at f/9.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good ps work on the toes Artie. Prefer this to your other Iguana posts. The danger, imv, being the salt crusted bodies creates a low contrast image, without punch. This has color and the yawn working for it. The top of the snout has some highlight work needed, unless I guess, you have deliberately left this for dialogue needs,:).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie... the yawn you captured here is great, and the background you have him set against is really nice. Great PS work... I can't tell which toes were worked on, which is what you want I'm sure. ;-)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, Thanks for stopping by.

re:

Good ps work on the toes Artie.

TYS (Thank you sir.)

Prefer this to your other Iguana posts.

Ah, the Land Iguana. Correct?

The danger, imv, being the salt crusted bodies creates a low contrast image, without punch.

I am totally confused by what you say above. The salt is whitish grey--that would seem to present problems with too high contrast unless photographed in soft light, as this was. Please explain.

This has color and the yawn working for it.

Agree and thanks.

The top of the snout has some highlight work needed

There are no over-exposed pixels, but it looks as if there are some bright areas there; a result of covnersion to a JPEG; the optimized TIFF looks fine.

unless I guess, you have deliberately left this for dialogue needs,:)

If I ever posted an image that featured less than my best image optimization skills, it would be in Eager To Learn (as some sort of test). When I post in Avian you are seeing my best efforts. I do, however, often receive helpful suggestions here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Blumenkamp View Post
    Hi Artie... the yawn you captured here is great, and the background you have him set against is really nice. Great PS work... I can't tell which toes were worked on, which is what you want I'm sure. ;-)

TYS. Here is the original. I borrowed the two toes and some rock from a frame created before he yawned. (When I had time to frame more carefully...)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Fletcher View Post
    The top of the snout has some highlight work needed....
    Hey David, I took a second look at the master file and realized that you were more right than I was, so thanks. I ran a 15% Linear Burn on the salt crystals on the top of the head. I hope that I did not make them too grey....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work on the toes and I think the top of the head in the repost looks a bit better than the original. I can now see more of the very subtle shading differences in those scales. I also really like the color of the iguana and the saliva strings add a nice touch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kes View Post
    Hi Arthur - nice animal and nice light. BG complementary. The recovery of the oof rock, where it intersects with the Iguana's body, shows some leftovers of your work (oof bits next to sharper bits). Like the dof, right foot to head in focus.

TYS (Thank you sir.) You are right. I struggled with that with the o-o-f rock there in the ORIG too close to the iguana. Any ideas on how to repair it????????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mate, Your repost in #6 is lovely.

Since this was shot with your 800 - I assume on a tripod - was the Iguana up high or did you have to compress the leg of the tripod. It is a wonderful "yawning" capture, and appears to have been done at the Iguana's level.

I agree with Peter regarding the "leftovers". There is a line in the rock (and the small area before and after the line towards the tail) under the leg forward of the elbow that appears to be repeated where you removed/repaired the rock.

I am just learning about the Clone Tool - in fact, I am just learning about everything photographic and Photoshoped - could you use the Clone Tool to perhaps pixel by pixel obliterate the repeated line? As I am staring at the area while typing this I see more of a repeat pattern.

How can you - for want of a better word - disguise the repeat? Thanks in advance for the further education. ;) :)
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Peter, to do what you did and obliterate all repeat pattern, would you have to pixel by pixel - if necessary - pick from different parts of the rock to complete the transformation? I quickly did the attached as that is the area I would continue to work on; correct?
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Peter, The interesection looks better but I cannot say that the rock itself is a big improvement. I guess that the lesson is to get it right in the field...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay,

re:

Your repost in #6 is lovely.

TYS.

Since this was shot with your 800 - I assume on a tripod

Brilliant assumption.

- was the Iguana up high or did you have to compress the leg of the tripod.

Huh???

It is a wonderful "yawning" capture, and appears to have been done at the Iguana's level.

The lens was about a foot ro two above the animal. There was a group of us hanging back. We were in a rush. We were doing two others when I noticed this one. I remember moving right and pulling the tripod legs together to get higher, to get over the rock, but being in rush and having others on both sides of me I was careless.

I agree with Peter regarding the "leftovers". There is a line in the rock (and the small area before and after the line towards the tail) under the leg forward of the elbow that appears to be repeated where you removed/repaired the rock.

There are lots of problems in the rock....

I am just learning about the Clone Tool - in fact, I am just learning about everything photographic and Photoshoped - could you use the Clone Tool to perhaps pixel by pixel obliterate the repeated line? As I am staring at the area while typing this I see more of a repeat pattern.

I do not doanything pixel by pixel.... The Patch Tool can often be used to eliminate the repeating patterns caused by careless cloning. It is almost always better to use a QM if you can.

How can you - for want of a better word - disguise the repeat?

Either the Patch Tool or a new QM or a QM and warp of the area. I am pretty sure that it is all in Digital Basics.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kes View Post
    Hi Jay - no I don't, but I am working with a reduced image size. I can do better with the original size. As Arthur pointed out, he took stuff from another image to get the nails: there might be material to get this rock surface back in shape as well. I, as you rightfully point out, am acutely aware of repetitive patterns. I often use the flip techique: take a part from a similar looking part of the image and flip it horizontally or vertically before applying it to my 'work area', so avoiding obvious repetitive patterns.

Here is the toe source image. Not much rock to use....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Outstanding capture with the open mouth and the apparent saliva strands. The work on the clipped toes is something I hadn't noticed studying the first post, and Peter's last one looks pretty spot on at this resolution.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Peter, I must be denser than I thought. I do remember typing a response to your post in pane 18 but I guess that I never hit "Post Quick Reply."

IAC, the repost in pane 18 is dead perfect. How the heck did you do "the rock repair"?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie. Been away a bit. Thanks for your comments. Repost looks darn good. Re the contrast thing, perhaps my thinking was unclear and wasn't able to express myself accurately. Basically, this has color and greater contrast to help it pop, whereas the earlier post of Iguana's were more uniform in color and lacking that extra element.

Good to hear your thoughts on posting too, :)
    Last edited by David Fletcher; 07-27-2009 at 05:06 AM.