Thread: American Kestrel

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Kestrel

Attached Images Attached Images

Coming in for a landing on a telephone wire.
    Canon 40D ~300mm f/4L IS ~ ISO 200~ 1/1000th @ f/6.3~ hand held

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice moment caught with the spread wings and tail and I like the transparency of the tail feathers. I'd like to recommend removing the blue from the tips of the flight feathers and perhaps adding a bit more contrast overall. There are some halos along the wingtips- not sure if that is from editing or from light. Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Amy Marques; 07-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

VERY nice pose and great detail although light wasn't ideal IMO. Nice exposure colors and comp, I love the transparency in the tail feathers.
    Congratulations!

Brian Barcelos

Roger, love the wing and tail spread. Think it needs a little more sharpening and agree with whats been said. I believe the blue on the wing tips is chromatic aberration. Very nice overall and I know these aren't the easiest to photograph in flight. Congrats.

Brian

Ákos Lumnitzer

I would run NR on the BG. ALso sharpen it a touch more. Great spread! Love it. Thanks for sharing. :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great flight shot. I like the spread wing and tail. Head turn is also great. I agree with the others about a little sharpening.

Markus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, to all for the comments. Where, other than BPN, can we post images and receive helpful comments from around the globe! Thanks, Artie!

Derek Griggs

Its good to see on this site Roger. Excellent image here, wonderful animal. Great job on the exposure in a difficult situation.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose! Agree with the others about more sharpening, a contrast boost, and eliminating the chromatic aberration.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Doug's last post. It should be added that this image was a fairly good sized crop, isn't that correct Roger?
    All in all a nice image that could use a few tweaks. :)

Sinh Nhut Nguyen

I love the pose, really captured it at the right momment. I agree with a bit more sharpening.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lentz View Post
    I agree with Doug's last post. It should be added that this image was a fairly good sized crop, isn't that correct Roger?
    All in all a nice image that could use a few tweaks. :)
    Mike is correct. The image posted here is a tighter crop of an image posted elsewhere. I've boosted the contrast as suggested and can easily provide more sharpening. But, I've not had luck in correcting the chromatic aberration. I have a CS-3 manual that provides instructions for correcting it in Camera Raw with sliders. I've moved the blue/yellow slider 100% in both directions but fail to see any difference in the image. Perhaps there's a better method??