Thread: Mandara Flower

Ramesh Adkoli

Default Mandara Flower

A beautiful flower that is known for its delicate features. Grows mostly in the southern coastal areas of India. As for the image, i would have loved to avoid that bud behind the flower, but couldn't. The flower was fairly deep in the plant. In addition the cloudy weather led to very low lighting conditions. Appreciate your views and critique.

EXIF: Nikon D700, 105mm 2.8 VR, 1/90s, f/8, ISO 400, spot metering, hand held, no flash, cloudy morning
    PS: opened exposure by 1 stop in ACR, levesl and curves for white point and contrast, and sharpening; burned the bud to lighten it.

Regards,
    ramesh

Julie Kenward

Hey Ramesh, beautiful whites on the flower. Overall, I think this feels a little dark still (but that could be my monitor.) Composition wise, I'd crop a bit from the right side and get the main flower more off center. I would also really consider cloning out the bud in back if you aren't objective to that - it's really competing for the attention of your main subject. Possibly just toning it down might also help.

Nice clarity of the flower and I really like that you got the stamen showing separately. Nice work!

Mike Moats

Hey Ramesh, the image does have a dark feel but I don't mind. I also don't mind the back bud, but I would clone out the light green stem on the left above the lower leaf. Agree with Jules on a slight crop on the right side.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice! A little more brightness might help, but it is OK as is. I agree with Mike--the bud does not bother me, but clone the green stem.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful flower. I like the composition and the darkness of this shot. I would try to remove the small bright green stem.

Markus

Fabs Forns

I lie the dark mood, the flower and the bud. Wish the leaf was not covering the bud. Agree on cropping off the right.

Ramesh Adkoli

Thank you all so much for reviewing this image. There are very valid and useful coments to improvement this image. I have cropped a bit from the right and cloned the tiny light green branch above LHS of the leaf. Julie, i left the bud in the BG as is but toned it out using lasso tool and curves. Here the reworked image.

Let me know how does this look.

regards,
    ramesh