Thread: Copied from Avian-I have my eye on you

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Copied from Avian-I have my eye on you

Attached Images Attached Images

I spent a lot of time on a recent visit to Bonaventure Island, practicing gannets in flight and I felt towards the end of the day that I was getting there. As birds would fly towards me, some would pass close and I would make a desperate attempt to capture an image as they zoomed by. The keeper rate was low but I got a few including this one. I set my flash to 0 compensation because of the normal subject to camera range being rather long, so when they came in close like this one the subject received rather more flash light that is optimal. Oh, well, you take what you can get!

Canon EOS 50D, 70-200 mm f4 IS @ 138 mm
    capture date: Friday, 10 July 2009, 11:27 AM
    exposure program: Manual
    ISO speed: 400
    shutter speed: 1/2000
    aperture: f8.0
    exposure bias: +0.0
    metering: Pattern
    flash: ON - flash extender

Axel Hildebrandt

Pretty cool pose, angle and eye contact. Sharpness looks good, too, I particularly like the head angle and being able to see the feet well. Do you have the entire tail, I'm wondering if it would look even stronger with the tail not clipped.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh... God... this is stunning! Superb use of flash IMO with great exposure ad outstanding detail, great pose and colors, nice tight comp and lovely, just lovely species, I wonder if placing the bird a bit higher in the frame would improve comp...

Big congratulations!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Pretty cool pose, angle and eye contact. Sharpness looks good, too, I particularly like the head angle and being able to see the feet well. Do you have the entire tail, I'm wondering if it would look even stronger with the tail not clipped.
    'fraid not Axel. I forgot to mention I did crop left and right but the tail was clipped in camera. I agree I think the full fanned tail would be optimal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I really like this one. The tight presentation works nicely. The eye contact is quite engaging. The exposure looks dead-on and good detail throughout. I agree with Axel that if you have it including the entire tail would be an option to considered. Good show!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ramon M. Casares View Post
    Oh... God... this is stunning! Superb use of flash IMO with great exposure ad outstanding detail, great pose and colors, nice tight comp and lovely, just lovely species, I wonder if placing the bird a bit higher in the frame would improve comp...

Big congratulations!!
    Thanks Ramón. I thought about cropping from the top but wanted to leave the wing exiting the image where it does. Right now the eye is pretty well right on the thirds lines.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry John, I must have been typing when you posted your response on the tail. This is still a very pleasing image as presented.

Lance Peters

Hi John - My favorite species and a stunning shot, love the HA and the exposure/ use of flash is just spot on - IMHO. at 138mm These guys must have been coming really close.

Stunning - Big Congrats :)

Fabs Forns

This light didn't seem like the Cape :)

I like the use of flash you had here, looks good to me. I like the compos, too bad about the tail, but I'd still take anytime.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow love the detail and colors here, wish the whole tail was in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning image John, I love it as presented:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

So much to engage the eye here, from the eye to the feet to the light shining through the tail. I love this as presented, for its interest and uniqueness.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the pose,head angle and the details!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb close up, and well done with the flashwork and exposure. I like the headturn, detail and colours on his head, and wish you didnt clip his tail. Still, well captured.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Too bad about the croped tail bu, John this is an stunning image in my opinion, just rocks! It is perfect for the cover of a book about NOGA, with empty rrom at the top for a the title, the strong graphica power of the image, and the perfect pose of the head.

The sky looks a bit overexposed, in fact it is very overexposed considering the sun angle and the intense colour of sky in a sunny day in a colony of gannets so I would mind to make a very agressive selective processing of the sky, and a light level adjustment in the bird. something like this.

Killer, killer image John.... I am really envious :p

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Juan, in addition to the PP description, did you do anything specific to the eye? It seems that the blue of the eye has changed to more closely match the BG. In both images the eye matches the BG. Love 'em both; I think the RP is a bit stronger.
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No Jay, I didn´t process the eye in a selective way, just created to layers, one for the sky (strong level adjustment) and another one for the bird (just a touch of levels adjustment to tone down the flash intensity just a bit).
    In my experience shooting white birds overhead against a blue , sunny, sky, the colour of the sky right out of the camera is even deep and darker than in my repost (if you are using manual exposure). I have very few experience with the flash because birds in Spain do not get close enought as to use fill flash (except if you are inside a hide) so I can not help with fill flash in this image but I suspect that the brightness in the sky is related to the use of flash.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. This is what it's all about!

I predicted that many would think the bird over-flashed- I guess not. The shadow of the bill on the upper breast of the bird gives the flash away. I very much like Juan's repost- thanks Juan! The sky exposure in the original image just fell where it did because I set manual exposure as far to the right as I could and still maintain detail in the whites. Juan's repost looks a bit over-saturated on my monitor so I may back it off a touch.

Erich Stevens

You definitely don't see a shot like this every day. I am enjoying it for what it is: a well executed closeup of a stunning species. Excellent work!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great expo control, beautiful sharp image with a good pose, agree about the tail, nevertheless a great image,,, congrats...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

John, I like the exposure and details!! Stunning image!!

Ákos Lumnitzer

Cropped or not this blows me away. Congratualtions John! Outstanding effort! :)