Thread: Northern Michigan suggestions?

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Michigan suggestions?

Hi,
    I just spent a few days in Leland, Michigan, north of Traverse City (scouting wedding locations for next year). It was my first trip to Michigan, and the area is beautiful. I'll definitely be going back, and will plan for some photography time. So then the question is what not to miss? What are the great sights in your opinion, for 1) landscapes, and 2) wildlife?

Thanks,
    Roger

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rodger. I don't know about scenics but as a birder, I must recommend seeing the endangered Kirtland's warblers on the breeding grounds in mid May in the Mio/Grayling area.:)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Drive the Superior Coastline and you will have many images to choose from. There is also a ".... of the Clouds" park in the UP that we went to a few times. Not sure of the exact title, or location, but it is listed on state maps. Scenery is everywhere around Copper Harbor as well.

Enjoy!

Former Cheesehead, still a cheesehead at heart!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I believe the previous message refers to Lake of the Clouds in Porcupine Mountains Wildlife State Park. That park is a gorgeous place in the Upper Peninsula.
    Here's a url:
    http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandt...pe=SPRK&id=426
    Best wishes for a great and safe trip.
    Last edited by Stuart Frohm; 07-17-2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: add url

Richard Sleeman

Roger..as you can imagine there is a lot of territory to consider in Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula. Some places to think about: WhiteFish Point in Paradise, Mi. Great birding, and good potential landscapes; Munising for Pictured Rocks lakeshore scenics (and good birding); just sosuth of Paradise is Taquemenon Falls, a don't miss for Upper and Lower Falls for scenics. There are many more, but I'd be typing forever. This is a start. Good luck.

Richard

Cindy Mead

hi Roger- I live 20 min. away from the current stronghold of breeding Kirtland's warblers, and if you visit Michigan during the spring season I can point you in the direction of some of our favored areas for migrants and much better areas to see/photograph Kirtland's that are much more productive for viewing the birds (and less well known) than the standard 'tours'. Tawas Point State Park, along the shores of Lake Huron, is a magnificent migrant 'trap' as well during the spring season, and is only a bit more than an hours drive away from the jackpine barrens. Shoot me an email if you'd like more info :)