Thread: Dragonfly

Connie Mier

Default Dragonfly

Attached Images Attached Images

I'm new to macro photography and recently purchased a macro lens. All critiques are welcomed. Also, if you can help me identify this dragonfly I would appreciate that as well.
    Sony a700, Sigma 180mm, external flash
    1/400, f9, ISO640, handheld
    postprocessing: minor crop from bottom and right, some sharpening mask
    Connie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image to begin with. Congrats on your new lens. Pretty sharp image and a lovely uniform BG.
    Might only tone down the brightness on the perch which seems a bit over powering. That said, the perch is a very interesting one with those thorns.
    Nice image overall Connie.

Mike Moats

Hey Connie, welcome to the great world of macro, and you're starting with a good lens. You did a nice job on the d-fly focus, and as Kaushik points out the perch is to hot and pulls your eye away from the main subject. You may or may not have been able to use a diffusser over top off the subject which would have cut the light on the perch (but might have scared off the critter). BG looks good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to macro, Connie, where the photo subjects are almost endless. Good sharpness and a nice background. My initial reaction to your image is that it has too much flash. The perch, as noted above, looks too bright as does the back of the dragonfly - especially between the wings. You might be able to tone those areas down in post-processing. Sorry, I can't help with the ID on Florida dragonflies. Keep them coming.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The orange of the dragonfly stand out nicely against the blurred green BG. Others have commented on the light colored perch. I especially like the transluscence of the wings. The world of macro photography is so much fun. Welcome!

Connie Mier

Thank you everyone, great suggestions. Now I'm really excited about the macro lens! The light perch was a issue for me, will try to work on it some more and see what happens.
    Connie

Fabs Forns

Connie, that's the lens Al and I use and are very happy with.
    I may go darker on this, especially the perch, that seems to be very light and distracts a lot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Connie, Nice image of either a female Golden Wing Skimmer or Needham's Skimmer they are very hard to tell apart and with out pulling out my ID book I would guess a Golden Wing.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy