Thread: Copied from the Avian forum: Tangled oystercatcher- Warning...disturbing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Copied from the Avian forum: Tangled oystercatcher- Warning...disturbing

Attached Images Attached Images

From yesterday at Nickerson Beach. I found this bird helplessly standing on the shoreline while his parents fed in the surf. Thinking I might be able to help, I went back to my car for a blanket and scissors. Two photographers were on the beach that I did not recognize, but when I explained the situation and my plan, one graciously offered to help, despite beautiful light (6:30 am), and having made a long trip here. (I had noted the plates on their car). On the way toward the bird, we introduced ourselves, and I now have a friend in Denise Ippolito. Sadly, because the bird can fly, we could not catch it, but I am taking hope that there may be help as I notified the conservation officer who drove by.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very sad sight and I hope someone will be able to catch and help the bird, the fishing line seems to be very tight, must be painful.

A while back I was luckier at helping a bird. A little sanderling had tried to eat a clam which closed so tightly with the bird's bill inside that he was stuck. The clam was so heavy that he couldn't even fly. This was 'good' as I could catch him and open the mussel and release the little guy.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Grace, The line is sooo tight, his foot is looking bad. I hope someone will be able to get him some help.:(
    It was a true pleasure to meet someone with such a caring heart-please keep us updated if you get any news.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sad Grace, I have found birds with big fishhooks in their webs. I call the humane society and they through a huge blanket over it for transport, return it to the original site and all is well. This was a swan which was easy to catch. I have tried it with a smaller bird and they are impossible to catch. Hope for the best here. Hope it doesn't lose the foot.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It does not look good at all Grace. Tks for posting. Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Crazy humans. I hate how many of us don't respect the environment and its wildlife. Shame.
    Thanks for posting this. Do you have the full bird as well?

Szimi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a shame Grace. Thanks for taking the time to try and get help for this poor Oystercatcher.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not a great sight to witness, and unbeknowing to the OC, approaching him, he thinks you are a danger - meanwhile all you want to do is help. Hope he makes it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If a picture is worth a thousand words, this one speaks volumes. You may not have succeeded in helping this individual but perhaps this image will open the eyes of others and help to prevent a similar tragedy. Nature photography isn't always about "pretty" pictures, the ones that matter are the ones that elicit an emotional response resulting in actions being taken.

Jim

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Tragic to see...

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Grace
    What a sad sight. I am afraid that is an issue that will not go away as long as fishing lines and other detritus are left to lie on beaches in gutters and wherever else. I truly hope this little fellow makes it. Hard to catch. In my experience as a wildlife carer, once you are able to catch a bird its condition is usually very deteriorated mostly to the point of "beyond help". Maybe the local wildlife people can shoot a net at it to detain and then go. but that leg does look pretty bad.

What you can do, is try and get this image to your local media with a short piece on what effect rubbish has on wildlife. Just a thought and you may be doing it in vain. But educating the public is the key. I know, big words and big wishes.

Wish you well. :)

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Grace,
    Saw him this morning.....he isn't doing well....serious limp and not feeding. I tried getting closer, thinking he was tired.....flew away. Not looking good.

Axel Hildebrandt

Why aren't the conservation people in the area trying to catch him? Don't they have the equipment Akos mentioned?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If the conservation officer acts fast it may be possible to catch the bird with a trap of some sort. If captured I'm sure the bird could be re-habilitated.

I had a similar experience at Cape St. Mary's a month or so ago when I discovered a kittiwake tangled in some rope and hanging from a cliff on Bird Rock. It was so frustrating knowing that it was impossible to get at but that if I could, the bird would survive. Thankfully the bird died quickly after a rather cold night.