Thread: TUTORIAL: Merging focal point images by hand

Fabs Forns

Default TUTORIAL: Merging focal point images by hand

Attached Images Attached Images

I had promised to do this and here it goes. I'm sure there's better ways to do it and even software out there for the purpose. But this is my way:

Make sure you are using a tripod and a ball head to avoid displacement of subject (it can be helped)
    Using Manual mode will help with consistent EXP. This was done in Aperture value, though.
    You will need to use Manual focus.

Pick a live subject that is not very active at that moment.
    Compose filling the frame, with room around, not too tight.
    This is referring to a Damselfly. If you have another subject with different shape, you may have to alter the focusing points. Pick your aperture according to your needs, keeping an out of focus BG. I used f/5.6 here.

Focus on the head. A remote cable will help getting sharper images, but it was not used here. Take your picture.
    Without moving the camera, turn the focusing ring to get the middle of the subject in focus. Take your picture.
    Repeat with the tail.
    You have now the same image with three critical focus points.

Open them in PS.
    Pick the one with the sharp head as base image (not that it matters) and go to the second image (middle in focus)
    and select the part that is is sharp focus. I used quick mask, but you can use whatever selection method you are familiar with, remembering to feather if you need to. (Quick Mask tutorial available from Birds as Art)
    Copy it (Control/Command C) and paste (Control/Command V) into the first image. Reduce the opacity of the new layer and align with the first one. Once it is aligned, go back to 100% opacity. If for any reason they don't align perfectly, use the Transform Tool to distort, using the Warp option if needed. Should you have a color discrepancy,
    use Curves from the toolbar, not as a layer to match the color.
    Repeat the same with the tail image.
    Merge layers and process as you usually do.

Hope I made this easy to follow.

Fabs Forns

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's the final version.

Michael Pancier

Thanks for the tutorial. Just curious, would photomerge work on this in PS? (like you do with a pano?

or by shooting it as a pano, perhaps in vertical mode?

Fabs Forns

Michael, I don't think this would work in photo merge since it's basically the same image with different focal points. It may work for the pano I did yesterday, will need to try.
    This will be done in Helicon Focus, but you basically lease their license, since you pay by the year.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    Michael, I don't think this would work in photo merge since it's basically the same image with different focal points. It may work for the pano I did yesterday, will need to try.
    This will be done in Helicon Focus, but you basically lease their license, since you pay by the year.
    Fabs, you can buy a lifetime license which includes a lifetime of updates too. A lifetime license would be the same as buying the program at a price that included lifetime updates. :)

http://www.heliconsoft.com/purchase.html
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Fabs, you can buy a lifetime license which includes a lifetime of updates too. A lifetime license would be the same as buying the program at a price that included lifetime updates. :)

http://www.heliconsoft.com/purchase.html
    Thanks, Jay, I'll look it up!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Fabs, Excellent tutorial and thankyou for taking the time to present it!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great tutorial Fabs, thanks for posting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for posting this, Fabs. I'll have to give it a try. Now, if those darned damselflies would just sit still. :) :)

Ákos Lumnitzer

I have read about this technique in a photography magazine some time ago. Never even thought of trying. Great that you put the tute together Fabs, it inspired me to go and try and create something similar. Thanks heaps. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabs:

Thanks so much! I did a quick experiment on a couple of photos I'd taken with different focus points just for this purpose. It worked! Wow! Very clear explanation.

Oh, do you have the link to the Quick Mask tutorial on Birds as Art. My quick search didn't turn it up.

Anita :-)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Think you need to buy the CD Anita! Only $20 by Robert O'Toole.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh! Thanks! I'm not familiar with that website as i don't photograph birds.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great example. In some instances it may be best to use a focusing rail, moving the entire set-up back and forth to render different focal planes sharp.

Best,

Chas
    Last edited by Charles Glatzer; 10-03-2009 at 02:50 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent tutorial Fabs
    TFS