Thread: Cranes in fog

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cranes in fog

Attached Images Attached Images

In November I spent some days with the cranes at their resting places in Northeast of Germany.
    We had very cloudy and rainy days, and there was a lot of fog in the air.
    I am not quite sure if the picture is a good one? I like the take-off of the birds, each in a different phase and I like the atmosphere, grey and misty. But, maybe that's only because I remember the moment....

Mark III Canon 100-400 + TC
    f 5.6 / 1/400 sec. / ISO 1250
    + 2/3 Exposure comp.

Axel Hildebrandt

Attached Images Attached Images

I like the mood in this one. I adjusted the levels, which looks like this:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Axel;
    I tried the level adjustment too, but in fact, the weather was really foggy and I think the first post is more like it was in reality. I am unsure, which version I like more.
    But perhaps, it's just a "don't keep" image.....
    That's why I ask you about the image.

David Roach

Hi Rosl, I wasn't there and i like the feel of this one! A definite keeper!! Except the one overlapped pair, you have good seperation and up and down wing positions. But what do I know....

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Rosl, I can see what you like about this image. I have difficulty trying to separate my emotions and recollection of the time of capture from images I have made. I am sure your post recaptures that well for you. I prefer the one with the levels as Axel has done because my initial impression of the first one is that it is just too flat. Even with the levels adjustment there is enough fog between the birds and background to convey the feeling of the weather.
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

Axel Hildebrandt

I'm sure you remember how foggy it was and the distance. David mentioned the overlap but overall I would decide it on what you want to emphasize. If it is the fog, you could go with the original.

Linda Robbins

I actually like this image both ways, but I think I prefer the foggy initial post. To emphisize the foggy feel, I would crop from the bottom to remove about 1/2 the green foreground.