Thread: Common Goldeneye

John Zimmerman

Default Common Goldeneye

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a Common Goldeneye doing his courting call.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III
    Flash Used No
    Lens 100-400L IS
    Focal Length 360 mm
    Exposure Time 1/400 sec
    Aperture f/7.1
    ISO Equivalent 400

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the unusual angle and the wonderful display. The exposure looks good but the whites migth do better if you increased the density via a QM, multiply layer, and reduce opacity. I would select the pupil with a QM, hit CNTLR U, de-Sat and darken to 80% to make the eye appear sharper.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

How in the world did you get so close to one of these guys?? Interesting perspective and perfect depiction of the courting behaviour.

Kenn Christensen

wow.. is that one a pet? these guys never let me within about 200 feet if they have anything to say about it.. and they usually do.... I have to have VERY effective camo to get any closer.... a blind wont do.. they have an aversion to blinds in THIS state...

Linda Robbins

Very interesting view from above and great pose. Artie's tip about increasing the density will work really well on this image I think, and his eye trick works magic.

John Zimmerman

For some reason I didn't read the details of the forum and I should have posted this photograph in the Avian, Captive and Hand Of Man forum. This Common Goldeneye was in an enclosed area.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-06-2008 at 11:04 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, No problema at all. I have moved the post to its proper location. Exactly where was the image made? Pretty neat that a captive duck feels at home enough to show off for the ladies.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

John Zimmerman

Thank you for moving the post. This bird was at a place called the Ecomuseum. You can find out about the place at: http://www.ecomuseum.ca/.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW and thanks for the link. It looks like an interesting place to hone your skills.
    later and love, artie

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

He looks like a puppet! Very interesting.