Thread: Shadow problems

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Shadow problems

Attached Images Attached Images

This not ment to be a great image, but a problem one on which I could use some help. Shooting info is as follows: Nikon D3, 200-400mm @400mm, ISO-200, 1/250sec @ f/4, +2/3 a stop, multi-segment metering. Image was shot in the late afternoon full sun about 4:45pm. My question is this: How can I get through the shadow cast by the wings. If I give it more light, I burn out the sun light portion of the bird. Would a flash with Better Beamer work here and if so how do you set the flash/camera? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fabs Forns

Hi Wheeler,

The main problem here is that the sun was very high in the horizon and the light harsh. Your sun angle doesn't help.
    In my opinion, even if you had the flash in Manual mode and 1/1, with the better beamer, the distance of the bird relative to you would not permit the full negation of the the shadow.
    I geet some of those too, I just don't keep them since I'm not a fan of big shadows in flights.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi,

Depending on how big a crop this is. i.e., how far away the bird is, a Better Beamer would help out.
    Most folks, I believe, set their flash to 50MM and dial in compensation depending on conditions.

It looks like the sun is almost directly overhead in this picture, yes? A lower sun angle will help with the shadows as well.
    I played with the image a little and some Shadow / Highlight work with some curves can bring out a good bit of detail under the wings. This is compressed pretty far so I didn't have a lot of data to work with, but with the original raw file you could improve it quite a bit in post processing.

A good start might be to do two conversions (assuming you shoot RAW) one for under the wings and one for the brighter spots and then combine them.

Robert Amoruso

Wheeler,

Not much you can do. Sometimes in the full up wing position you can get it lite up. Under such lighting conditions I am looking for banking of the bird to get rid of the shadows.

In bright sun the beamer is just not going to make a dent in dark shadows on a dark bird at a great distance. With a white bird you might get some relief as white will reflect more light back.

I generally refrain from S/H such images because of the noise increase but mostly because it does not look natural.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I guess I got that one wrong on the BB. How far out do you guys feel the BB is effective in similar conditions?

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Poor View Post
    I guess I got that one wrong on the BB. How far out do you guys feel the BB is effective in similar conditions?
    Jim, the less light you have, the less flash you need.
    the more light, the more flash.

Since this is full sun, the only way for the flash and BB to reach is if the the bird were in the 70-200 no converter range and the flash were in manual 1/1 full power and then maybe....

When the sun is out in full, I turn my flash off and use the sun as main light, then delete the ones where shadows are present. banking, as suggested by Robert, is a great way to get full light and a great pose when the sun is out.

At first light or at civil twilight, you can light up at bird with the flash at TTL -1, but in full sun, no can do.

Alfred Forns

Your best bet is getting the bird in a favorable wing position Don't think the BB will fill enough At times if you photograph these birds on the beach you can count on light reflecting up Sort of like a giant reflector !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images

Thasnk you all for your thoughts on how to improve this obviously lacking shot. For those who asked the crop was very little as the birds were no more than 100 yards away and maybe not that far. Sun was not ovehead but comming from the bird's left. Remember 4:30 pm. I like the idea of the bank and here is one I took at the same time with a bank.

Fabs Forns

Much better Wheeler.
    I would not keep the first one, rather concentrate on getting more like this one. Maybe get rid of the second one?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Fabs, I'll try that.

Linda Robbins

Great suggestions all, and the better lighting on the second post proves the point. The second post is also a good example of how important a good head angle is. The near bird has a good head angle with the face well-lit. The second bird's face is slightly turned away and more shadowed. Thanks for the post and repost!