Thread: Painted Bunting

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Painted Bunting

This image has been something of a project for me. I captured it at Corkscrew Swamp a while back, but there were a few issues with the original. First, the area where the Buntings are there has really lousy light in the morning, so you have to flash and pray to get anything. Second, there is BG clutter everywhere. It's a surefire place to get Painted Buntings, but you'll have to be very patient to get good compositions. Anyway, I loved this pose, and the DOF I got on the bird. However, I hated the BG. The branch he's perched on was actually on the ground. I decided to carefully mask off the bird and branch, and apply a heavy Gaussian Blur to give the effect of the branch being in the air. I then touched up the effect with a clone stamp. The bird and branch are pretty much as-captured (light sharpening). There was a very slight hint of shadow under the tail that I blended in. I'm very much a novice with Photoshop, but learning fast.

Canon 1DsMII, ef 600mm f/4L, 580 flash with Better Beamer, 1/60, f/5.6, ISO 400. Captured in mid-November.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bob, I think you have done a pretty good job here with your post-processing. At this file size i can't see any problems. Beautiful bird nicely composed!!

Alfred Forns

Excellent PS work Bob and worth going to the trouble with such a fine image !!!! Like seeing the topside of the bird Good pose and placement Is this from the area they have the bird feeder just off the boardwalk on the left?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Forns View Post
    Excellent PS work Bob and worth going to the trouble with such a fine image !!!! Like seeing the topside of the bird Good pose and placement Is this from the area they have the bird feeder just off the boardwalk on the left?
    Yep. That's the place. They've actually done a pretty decent job of clearing the area out now. Much easier to work with than it was a month ago! I'm sure if we pick on Rod Wiley enough here, we can get him to sneak in there for us and put some nice posing sticks up (subtelty is not my strong suit ;)).

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful bird - well presented. The perch is a bit dominant for my tastes.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well captured bird Bob. I'd love to see this species some day.

Del Cockroft

The perch is somewhat obtrusive but the image of a very beautiful bird is good. Under the circumstances I believe you've done a pretty good job.

Axel Hildebrandt

Beautiful bird, and nice details. Thanks for sharing your technique. Adding to the other comments, I wish for more head turn.

Alfred Forns

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blanchard View Post
    Yep. That's the place. They've actually done a pretty decent job of clearing the area out now. Much easier to work with than it was a month ago! I'm sure if we pick on Rod Wiley enough here, we can get him to sneak in there for us and put some nice posing sticks up (subtelty is not my strong suit ;)).

That is a great idea Bob Placing a few perches with a good bg will make a huge difference Will be calling today:) All little hints will make a difference

Sure is frustrating when the male shows up and stays at the feeder !!!

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I Iove the pose and colors!!!