Thread: Woodie

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Woodie

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear all
    Made this pciture in Bandhavgarh National park , India , with D300, 600mm, ISO 200, F5.6 at 1/160 secs
    This is White Napped Woodpecker
    All C & C moste welcome and appreciated.
    Harshad

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

beauty one Harshad, Loved the details and catchlight add a well to the frame.

I would prefer a more room on the right of the frame and on top to balance it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderfull species to me. I like the detail and sharpness, maybe brightening the dark greens in the BG could help, IMO the OOF log is a tad distracting. Congratulations!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow! Very striking portrait! Love the color and detail. I also like how the light green of the BG echoes the shape of the bird's head. I like the crop as presented, because I suspect that adding frame to the right would show a lot of OOF tree. You might be able to bring out a little more detail in some of the blacks. Nice job!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Ákos Lumnitzer

Tough one to crop, I agree. Love the feather detail and great head angle too. Congrats Harshad.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the bird but I find the background's mix of light and dark tones to be quite distracting.

Axel Hildebrandt

Good sharpness and eye contact. I don't find the BG distracting, the OOF branch in the lower right is not ideal.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Harshad, You did well with a tough light angle.... Pretty bird. I am 50-50 on the BKGR and I do not like to see clipped toes.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super close up, with pin sharp detail and colours. I dont mind the BG, but agree with Artie on clipping the claws.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for kind words,
    Arthur sorry for clipped claws but could not help as bird ws sitting like this
    Posting RAW and FF
    All help in compostion is most welcome and appreciated
    Harshad

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the light was harsh. But this is a great looking fellow.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harshad Barve View Post
    Thank you all for kind words, Arthur sorry for clipped claws but could not help as bird ws sitting like this Posting RAW and FF All help in compostion is most welcome and appreciated Harshad
    Ah, it was not the way the bird was sitting that caused the clipped toes, but the harsh off-angled light. It seems that you cropped as you did to avoid the hot spots on the tree trunk!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

#1: There are lots of over-exposed pixels. See the ACR and saving the whites tutorials in ER!!! And my letter to the comunity coming soon!!! #2: Lots of Qucik Masks and more (including reduced contrast) for the repost.

And the best news is, it is all in our Digital Basics PDF File

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your made average image better one Arthur
    Thanks a ton
    Harshad

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW. You have got to learn how to convert while recovering the highlights...