Thread: Torrent duck

Debora Gardiman

Default Torrent duck

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, this is my first post. I travelled 1100 km just to see this beautifull animal. The torrent duck lives and feeds in fast flowing mountain streams. He actually swims up the stream and you just can't believe how he survives at this dangerous enviroment. This is a beautifull female that allowed me to photograph her for a few moments before she left. I like this particular image because I think it shows the strengh of the water and the attitude of the bird getting ready to jump. My beloved 580 EX is in ICU due to a 8 mt fall so I depended on natural light and it was pretty dark so I used high iso in an attempt to achieve enough vel to freeze the water.

Parque provincial Potrero de Yala
    Pcia de Jujuy
    Argentina

Canon 20D
    Canon 100/400 LIS USM
    ISO 800
    vel 1/200
    f 5.6

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome, Debora! Great first post, the pose and the dynamic setting are unique. I've never seen this species before. Thanks for sharing. I might give it a tad more room at the left.

Maxis Gamez

Hola Debora,

Que colores tan bellos. I must say that the water drop is taking away from your subject. Keep them coming!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes welcome Debora! This is a very interesting image with an equally interesting story!! What an unusual environment for a duck - one that's well adapted to its habitat. I really like your image here!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I may have to disagree with Axel. I think the lack of space on the left adds to the precariousness of the ducks position and accentuate what must be a difficult life for the duck. The water drop distracts me also. Beautiful bird.

Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it and agree with Tim on the framing. You did a great job with everything here: esp. the COMP , SHARPNESS, & the EXP. And I absolutely love the upside down icicle water.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Debora. I really like your image as posted. I had never heard of torrent ducks until about a month ago when I saw them on a television documentary. What was most amazing was how the little ducklings could survive swimming in these high current conditions.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Débora! I didnīt know you were registered here! We really had a great time that year up in the Jungas! Love this shot, nice comp, great colors and detail and, knowing the light condition we were working with, the whole image looks stunnig to me! Congratulations!