Thread: Moonrise - from a landscape virgin

Ákos Lumnitzer

Moonrise - from a landscape virgin

Attached Images Attached Images

While walking my dogs at the local lakes, I noticed the moon rising in the east, and it was huge in the sky. I waited for some clouds and fired away.

Please be gentle, I am a landscape virgin, with a capital V!

30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM and 1.4x, ISO400, f/5.6, 1/640th, +1 exposure comp. HH, 85% of original. Applied contrast, some darkening of clouds and saturation. Pretty much that is all. .

Thanks for looking and all critique is appreciated. Thank you. :)

Robert Amoruso

That's pretty cool looking. I like it. Good placement on the moon rule of thirds wise. Exposure good too. I played around with a selection of the moon and uping contrast and did not like anything I did so left as is. Not that more contrast would be better, just curious how it would look.

Ákos Lumnitzer

HI Robert
    Thank you for taking the time. :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super well done. I would have liked the bottom to be a mountain cause the clouds does not look great there. Maybe remove them and crop off the bottom?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely mood. I agree on taking out the bottom clouds. nice one Akos! the moon is vivid...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Ákos Lumnitzer

Do you guys think this is better? In this case it is missing the mountain below. I can always do a montage since I fell in love with the OOTB kind of stuff. That's so neat!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Akos, My first thoughts were to crop off the bottom-but now that you did I think it takes all that lovely color from your image. I like it as presented.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Thanks D. :) I think it needs a thicker band of cloud at the bottom. May have to tweak with some copying.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Akos..both look good to me, but I lean more towards 2nd one....nice work..gotta love those dogs...

Ákos Lumnitzer

Something like this I think. I am not good at blending the two edges together. I just cut out the sky in the middle. I made a little mess at the bottom too. But that's the idea. Is that (idea) better?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Second one the best imo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Akos, I like it!!

Fabs Forns

Last repost looks great to me!

Ákos Lumnitzer

Thanks friends for the constructive comments. :)

Robert Amoruso

Akos,

I like your blended version. I knew coping out the bottom was not the answer but did not like the large gap. Glad to see what you came up with.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Vonderful. I like the first and the last equally. Nice and SH with a good EXP. Vas the dog barking at the moon?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Akos, it is a fun image and presents lots of alternatives. When I first saw the image I envisioned something like this, and the viewer can decide if the moon is in the sky or just rising above "whatever"!

Thanks for creating the image for me to play with :D
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Thanks Robert (again) and Artie. :) No Sir, doggies no bark at moon. :D

Jay, thanks mate, that would be great, in that crop though I feel the moon is on the centerline. The clouds were quite sparse. Thanks for your time too mate. Appreciate the input.

This is WHY BPN ROCKS! Did I not say that many times?

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Akos,
    Wow virgin with a capitol V....now I'm excited:eek:! I like your re-worked version best as the crop took too much away. Moving the clouds up was the right choice! Great advice and help given above so will only add......very nicely done.....even if you weren't a virgin!!!

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Roman
    Thanks for looking and your advice buddy. I appreciate it. :)