Thread: Waxwing

Todd Frost

Default Waxwing

Attached Images Attached Images

I believe this to be a Bohemian Waxwing, first time I've seen one of these where I live.
    D300, 80-400vr @400mm, F8.0, 1/60, ISO800, +2/3 exp comp, fill flash, AWB. Cropped this way due to unwanted twigs and branches. Wouldn't give a clear shot!
    Thanks for looking,
    Todd

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done and sharp. Perfect EXP. Not sure or knowledgeable about the id. Maybe Jeff Nadler can help. A further crop from the right, right though the F in Frost would get rid of space that is doing nothing for the image. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Jason Lambert

Nice shot of one of my favorite birds. It seems to be a Cedar Waxwing, I can't see the wingtips and tail in this shot, but if it has white and yellow on the wingtips, its a Bohemian, which will also be darker under the tail. The Cedars have less markings on the wings and have white undertail coverts.

Jason Lambert

Todd Frost

It does indeed have yellow on the tips of tail, so I would guess that it must be the Bohemian variety. What is their natural range? I have not seen one here before. Maybe I wasn't looking either, I have always focused on larger subjects in the past.
    Todd

Jason Lambert

Both Cedar and Bohemian should have yellow on the tail tip, if there is some on the wings its more likely a Bohemian. Bohemians are less common and will winter in northern parts of the US, while Cedars will stay year round in most of the northern half of the US and can be found all over the country in the winter.

Jason

http://www.pbase.com/tucky13/image/92483495 (Bohemian)
    http://www.pbase.com/tucky13/image/91165210 (Cedar)

Axel Hildebrandt

Yours looks like a bohemian judging from the chest plumage. Below is a cedar waxwing. Did it look like this? The wing tips should give you an idea.

Todd Frost

I've got it figured out now, it is a cedar. White under the tail. Thanks for the help with the I.D. and comments.
    Todd

Jody Melanson

This is an irruption year for Bohemians, Redpolls, Pine Grosbeaks as their food up North was low this Winter. Agree with suggestions above.