Thread: Maroon Bells

Lance Warley

Default Maroon Bells

I don't think MB would be classified as Pacific NW, but it's the closest region I can find.

Anyone live near there? I'm thinking of taking a trip, maybe in the Fall, maybe in Winter.

Some basic questions - what airport do you fly into, where are the closest hotels, other photo sites in the area?

Help appreciated...thanks.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I just looked up Maroon Bells since I had never heard of it. Wow, that looks like a gorgeous place. It looks like your closest airport would be aspen. Looks like an outstanding place for fall colors.

-Susan

Lance Warley

With the thousands of photographers in BPN, I'm hoping a few will live in the area. Or at least one.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Lance,

You might try posting this in the South West forums as well, it looks like there are a few people from Colorado in there.

-S

Lance Warley

Thanks, Susan. I'll check with Chris Ober.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lance, One of our members used to photograph there her name is Joanna Trescott-maybe you could e-mail her. I sent her an e-mail a few months ago and she responded. Here is a link to her member page-she lives in Colorado.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ber.php?u=1538
    Last edited by denise ippolito; 07-02-2009 at 03:02 PM.

Lance Warley

Thanks, Denise.

Banned
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lance,
    I live in Colorado and have been to/photographed the Maroon Bells a number of times. In my opinion, while they are nice, there are much better places in Colorado to visit. But it is an interesting experience to go there in the fall: get there early to get a spot and expect there to be 100 to 200 photographers along the bank of the lake (another reason why I think there are better places). You can get some ideas from my Colorado gallery:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.colorado

If you do go to the bells, and if you have a good weather day, expect there to be wind causing ripples on the lake due to cold air falling down the sides of the mountain. Wait for the sun to rise far enough to hit the lake, and magically (well no--it's physics), the wind stops and you get a beautiful reflection. I currently do not have any images of the Bells on my web site--need to add that to my list to do.

Best time for fall colors varies from year to year and elevation. But mid September for the highest elevations to the first week of October tend to be best (check the dates on my images).

Roger

Lance Warley

Thanks very much, Roger.