Thread: Pelican Portrait

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Default Pelican Portrait

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured at Williamstown Victoria with Canon 30D 300mm F4 L IS + 1.4X con. (420mm) 1/2000 sec, F/5.6, ISO 400. Patterm metering, A/priority, +0.3step

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...1&d=1202158239

Threads
    Thank You Posts

First rule for preening birds: the bird's head needs to be parallel to the plane of the imaging sensor... Here the bird's head is angled away from you. exposure looks pretty good; not sure of the brightest whites.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thanks Artie.

Axel Hildebrandt

Adding to Artie's comments, some of the whites look overexposed and the bright and dark spots in the BG are a bit distracting.
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 02-04-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thanks Axel those spots are rocks on the shore line and I cant think of anyway to get rid of them as cloning would be VERY difficult because of the fine ridge of feathers on the neck and head.

It would appear that I made an error in composition there.

The whites I will attack using my highly undeveloped PS skills:)

Axel Hildebrandt

Maybe the BG would have been cleaner if you would have moved to the left. This way the parallel to the camera plane issue would be gone.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Axel, what I should had done was wait for high tide but that was midnight, I could have lain down in the mud and backed up with the sky but then I would have drowned as the tide came in as I could not have gotten up.

I had given thought of revisiting my Rolleiflex days and having a viewfinder I could look down on but that would be regressing.

It is simply a matter of accumulating the advice generously given here and putting it into practice, I must learn to think PAST the subject matter.

Thanks again folks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher C.M. Cooke View Post
    It is simply a matter of accumulating the advice generously given here and putting it into practice, I must learn to think PAST the subject matter. Thanks again folks.
    Now you are getting it. In bird photography (and other types of nature photography as well), the background is often more important than the subject. I was influenced early on by the lovely oof backgrounds of Tim Fitzharris' birds and John Shaw's flowers...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Christopher C.M. Cooke

Thanks Artie.

Unlike all other sites I have been a member of this one is like a jigsaw puzzle where the pieces actually seem to fit.

I keep copies of every critique on a pdf file and it is simply fantastic.

The attitude of all the folk here is TOTALLY constructive and very genuine whereas on other site one is either put down or in receipt of gratuitous and insincere praise.

This place is very special indeed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher C.M. Cooke View Post
    Thanks Artie.

Unlike all other sites I have been a member of this one is like a jigsaw puzzle where the pieces actually seem to fit.

I keep copies of every critique on a pdf file and it is simply fantastic.

The attitude of all the folk here is TOTALLY constructive and very genuine whereas on other site one is either put down or in receipt of gratuitous and insincere praise.

This place is very special indeed.
    Hey mate, Your most kind words are greatly appreciated.

later and cheers and love, artie