Thread: Thorny Situation

Richard Kowalski

Default Thorny Situation

Attached Images Attached Images

Here's a shot of a Loggerhead Shrike which posed for me Saturday morning at Buenos Aires NWR.

I removed several distracting BG branches, but I'm debating if I should also remove the thorn pressed against the bird's belly. I kinda like it being there, especially since he's holding on to the base, but I thought I'd ask for input.
    (In this version the whites are a little hot, but not at full res)

Canon 20D
    1/1000th
    ISO 200
    Sigma 50-500 - 500mm @ f/ 8 handheld
    AV

Vertical crop of the frame in ACR, slightly lightened the eye & cloned out offending branches in PS.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard Kowalski; 02-04-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Used wrong term

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rich, I like the thorn as is. For my taste, I'd crop off the bottom to right above where that second branch comes in and then take some off the left. (My opinion only)

Robert Amoruso

Attached Images Attached Images

My recrop suggestion below. I would then clone out the some small branch at the bottom. A head turn to get better eye contact would be nice. I would have preferred not to be looking up at him but these guys perch high so I know that is not always possible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

RAM nailed the critique boave; thanks Robert. The head turned away is the biggest problem. Keep your eyes open and push the shutter button when the bird's head is at least parallel to the imaging sensor.

later and love, artie

ps: I'd also get rid of the last little branch along the bottom.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would crop a little off the left and bottom similar to Roberts crop. I would also clone out the bottom branch. Neat image.
    Yours in Wildness
    Ted

Richard Kowalski

Thanks Grace for actually reading what my question was.

I agree the crop isn't correct, but that wasn't what I was asking.

Cheers

Richard