Thread: Diving merganser

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Diving merganser

Attached Images Attached Images

Some exceptionally calm water on the Long Island sound late yesterday afternoon led to this image.What I like most about the it is the reflection of her beak and body, (zig-zag) which looses alot of oomph in this web presentation. The more I look at this, I think that the second reflection (Lower in the frame) adds nothing. Your thoughts?

Thanks for looking.

1/1000, f7.1, ISO400
    1DM2n, 500 + 1.4tc

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Grace,

Nice job catching the dive. I agree with you about the second reflection. The bird appears to be a bit soft as well.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it as per Jim and yes, the bird's head especially is soft. Some selective sharpening would help. Were you in a boat?

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie- Cracked me up with your boat question...tactful. no, I was not in a boat. Soft sand and a rather large crop. I will try some more sharpening, but this might be as good as this one can get. Perhaps one for the trash heap, sadly.

Blake Shadle

I agree with you on the reflection, Grace. Artie, and Jimmy made some good suggestions. The trash heap is a good indication of whether you're refining your skills and your artistic vision. An image that you would keep a year ago, may not be one that you would keep today ;) Keep posting, I enjoy keeping track of your work :)