Thread: Backyard Junco

Tom Grey

Default Backyard Junco

Attached Images Attached Images

It's been rainy around here and I haven't been getting out, so I was happy to get even the most common backyard bird to pose for me on the branch I have taped to the railing of my backyard deck. We have the "Oregon" race of the Dark-eyed Junco here. More DOF would have been nice, but it was pretty dark. I was lazy and didn't use fill flash -- don't know how much it would have added to this one.
    40D, 500/4; 1/100, f/4.5, ISO 800

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot. Honestly, I didn't really notice the DoF missing the tail until after I read your self-critique. To me that means it is sharp where it has to be, I really like the smooth BG and the colors.

I am undecided on the crop, and many will say it is too centered, but I kinda like it. Still waffling on that.

I'd get rid of the little black spot on the breast. It bugs me a bit and I'm sure it was just dirt on the bird, but it detracts like dirt on the sensor, only it is in focus.

I'm no expert on perch selection, but as long as you are taping them to your deck, something with a little more character would be great.

Still, one sweet photo.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tom,

Lovely bird and bg here. The soft even light gave a wonderful result. No flash needed. The image is very sharp with great details. I would crop slightly from the left and bottom.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird and BG are fantastic! I just wish for a more interesting perch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely light and image. Great BKGR. Love that the buffy orange tones pick up the colors of the bird. I rather like the perch. Wish that the bark with the greenish lichens went up higher. If it fits with your personal ethics, I would get rid of the grass on the bill.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great colors and details!!!