Thread: Common Kestrel

John Harper

Default Common Kestrel

Hi There

Those of you that have seen some of my previous posts know that i spend most of my time at the Hawk Conservancy Trust, most of the birds there are captive, but they do have a pair of wild common kestrels that nest on the edge of a meadow, and take advantage of food that is put out for them & Great Grey Herons at the end of each day.

Trying to get a sharp shot of these birds in flight is challenging to say the least! When you do get one in focus its not always all in the frame.

So my question is can this shot be saved by repairing the wingtip or is it a bin and try again

John

EOS1DMKIIN
    EF 500 F4L
    ISO 800
    1/1600 @ F4

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repairing the wing is beyond me at this point in time, but I have seen others do it very well.

However, I think I like a more radical approach. Scroll the photo up, or cover it with something until the top is cropped just a touch above the tail feathers and see what you think.

I like it that way as the prey is really the focus of the image and the action it depicts. Such a crop would also eliminate most of the big white space at the top.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Robert O'Toole could seamlessly fix the wing but with the wad of chicken (???) in its talons and the face soft, I do not think that it is a good candidate for APTATS. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Robert O'Toole could seamlessly fix the wing but with the wad of chicken (???) in its talons and the face soft, I do not think that it is a good candidate for APTATS. Later and love, artie
    Hi Art

Thanks for the appraisal on this one, I have ordered APTATS to hopefully learn how to repair these type of shots, i will just need to continue the search for a suitable candidate.

John