Thread: Marin County in early Oct.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Marin County in early Oct.

My husband and I will be visiting our daughter in Marin County in early October. We are both interested in finding some interesting places to photograph birds. We will have a rental car so can travel reasonable distances for some interesting birds. Suggestions for interesting sites and what can be seen in early October would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Linda

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Try Don Edwards refuge, Palo Alto Baylands, beaches and meadows in Half Moon Bay area.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Linda

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Linda, while I am sure that you'll find birds at the places Arash mentioned I think it's quite a bit of a drive from Marin to the Peninsula. Especially considering that there are plenty of opportunities in Marin for bird watching and photography. Some ideas you may find at the following link:

http://www.marintrails.com/birds.html

I'd add to that list Rodeo Lagoon near Sausolito. Then, there is Bodega Bay which is a bit farther north.

At sialia.com you can find postings from several California birding email lists.

Good luck. Best, JR

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John. That first link looks very interesting. It will give me a start to review all the information I can on these 7 sites. Our daughter has mentioned several of these places, including Canyon Ranch but I don't know what will be available in Oct. It looks like shorebird migration will be on when we will be visiting and that should give us plenty of opportunities.

Linda

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Linda,

Yes, shorebird migration will be on. As well as Hawk migration at Hawk Hill (see http://www.ggro.org/raptrends.html). And I presume songbirds are on their way south as well.

Let us know how it goes. JR

pfginsr

If you want to drive north a little Bodega Bay is a great spot to photograph from your car in low tides. Sometimes you can get some interesting birds stopping at Bodega on their migrations.

Another great spot in Sonoma county is the mouth of the Russian River at Goat Rock near Jenner. Pelicans and sometimes ospreys. There is also a seal colony at the mouth of the river.

The Blue Angels will be performing at Fleet Week October 9, 10, 11 if you want to photograph some "man made" birds. The best time to do that and avoid crowds is the friday afternoon when they do their practice routine. The marina green area in SF has lots of parking and viewing locations for that.

I already emailed your husband about Las Gallinas in Marin County. http://www.lgvsd.org/ It is Marin's water treatment facility but birds hang out on the ponds and there are mulitple trails to explore. They are working on the levee right now so some of the trails are closed but they should be opening back by the time you are in the area.

Enjoy your stay in northern california. October is a great time to explore the Marin Headlands.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks a lot. I think with all the suggestions we can keep busy.

One of the places I had identified was Bodega Bay. I love shore birds and ospreys. We have a lot of ospreys nesting here during the summer, but they tend to head south in October.

Linda

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Linda,
    I wouldn't leave out Pt. Reyes National Seashore. The Tule elk out towards Tomales Point are going into rut and there are some birds to be had in the lagoons out that way. Just drive out Pierce Point Road and you will see the trails to the lagoon on your left. The elk are towards the end of the road you will cross a cattle guard and enter the elk refuge.

Good luck and God bless,

chris

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all. We spent time at Hawk Hill, Las Gallinas and Point Reyes as well as ponds near the 101/Rowlands Road exit (across from Costco). We managed to get a look at hawks, tule elk, mule deer, California quail, stilts, avocets, godwits and lots of ducks. All in all a good look at birds and mammals that we don't often see around here in MD. Thanks for all the help.

Linda