Thread: Photo Gallery Tutorial

Julie Kenward

Default Photo Gallery Tutorial

Attached Images Attached Images

James Shadle, one of BPN's publishers, asked me to write a short tutorial on how to use the new photo galleries that are available for all paying BPN members. Well, short is not my strong suit when it comes to writing but I'll try to be brief!

To get started, head over to the forum page of this wonderful website. At the top of the forums you'll see a group of headings that has the words 'USER CP' - this is your individual User Control Panel. Click on that link to get to your personal page where you can then set up your gallery albums.

Julie Kenward

Default Part Two

On the left side of the control panel you'll see links to all the different items you have access to as a member of BPN. The second down is labeled "Networking" and this is where you'll find the link to set up or access your gallery.

Julie Kenward

Default Part III

Start by setting up at least one album and then you can upload some photos to go in it. It's up to you how many albums you set up but you might try following one of these different formats:

1) By forum (i.e. Avian, Macro/Flora, Wildlife, Landscape, etc.)
    2) By Photography Genre (I.e. Color, Black & White, Sepia, Infrared)
    3) By Species (i.e. Songbirds, Waterfowl, Raptors, etc.)

These are only ideas...use whatever works best for your photographs. You can have one album or multiple albums - its up to you - but you can only upload a total of 50 images to the entire gallery at any one time. Photos cannot be larger than 800 x 600 pixels and 150 kb in size.
    Last edited by Julie Kenward; 06-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Julie Kenward

Default Part IV

Name your album, enter a short description if you want, and then decide if the album will be public or private. Now click on the "Submit" button.

Julie Kenward

Default Part V- Uploading photos

Now that you have an album set up you are ready to upload photos to it. Click on the white space next to the name of the album and it will take you to where you can upload photos for the first time. (This white space will be where your album cover photo will be once you upload the images.)

You should now see a place where it says "Upload Pictures." Click on that. You'll now see a place to browse photos on your computer. Once you have the links you want in place, click on "Upload Pictures."
    Last edited by Julie Kenward; 06-19-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Julie Kenward

Default Part VI - Saving Changes

Once your photos are uploaded, you can add titles, descriptions and choose a cover photo for the album. Once you have the photos how you want them click on the "Save Changes" button.
    Last edited by Julie Kenward; 06-17-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Julie Kenward

Default Part VII - Making Changes/Deletions

Continue to do this until you have all your albums and photos uploaded to the gallery.

To delete an album:

To delete an entire album, click on the "edit album" button and choose "delete album."

To delete an individual image:

To delete an individual image, click on the "edit photos" link inside the album cover page and you can delete it from there.

Questions or problems? Leave a comment and we'll figure it out together!
    Last edited by Julie Kenward; 06-17-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jules & James
    New galleries are a great oppotunity to re-evaluate and tweak images.
    Cheers: Ian Mc
    PS I see to view Members/Moderators Albums you click on name &
    View Public Profile.
    Last edited by Ian McHenry; 06-18-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Alfred Forns

Great job Jules !!! Thanks !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Alfred for making the gallery available and good work on the tutorial Jules. How will the galleries of the individual members be accessible? Will there be a separate button at the top of the page alongside "Home, Guidelines, Membership, Staff, Field Store and ezine"?

Linda Scarth

Thanks for the tutorial. The message from James yesterday to take advantage of this service was just what I needed to figure out how to announce our book 'Deep Nature: Photographs from Iowa' which is in the Fall 2009 University of Iowa Press catalog. The online instuctions are also useful. I put up a few samples and the book jacket cover.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jules
    Excellent tutorial.....and you have a wonderful gallery as a model. Question: You stated that we could only upload 50 images at a time. Is there a maximum overall number for the entire gallery....or an album?
    Thanks......you're doing an outstanding job.

William Malacarne

File size is 150K, why is it different than what can be posted to a forum? I think it would be easier if they were the same.

Bill M

Julie Kenward

Sorry everyone...I've had modem difficulties all morning and have just now managed to get back online.

Ian, yes, you can view the galleries by clicking on the name of the person and choosing "View Profile." I also believe you can go to that top toolbar where the USER CP is and click on "Member List" and that will let you go to their profile pages as well. I'm sure there's a few other ways I'm missing but those two definitely work. You will also begin to see people put the link to their gallery below their signature and to do that you go to your gallery page and copy the URL. Then go to the page where you can edit our signature and below your name entera tag line like "My BPN Gallery" and then click on the HTML link in that toolbar and paste the URL of your gallery there.

Richard, I'll leave your question to James and Blake to answer as they are the ones setting this whole thing up.

Lana, I believe you can set up as many or as few photos or galleries as you wish as long as the total is no more than 50 images. You'll see as you upload photos a counter that will tell you "ten images left" - that lets you know how close you are getting to the total of 50.

William, the reason the size is different is because of server space. James mentioned that the way to keep the membership dues down to only $20 and still have galleries for everyone demanded that they be smaller images. I have noticed, though, that the server usually will automatically resize the image for you in most (if not all) cases so if you've posted a photo on a BPN forum, try uploading that size and it should resize the image for you automatically.

Okay...I think that's it for now. Boy, am I glad to be back online!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Kenward View Post

Richard, I'll leave your question to James and Blake to answer as they are the ones setting this whole thing up.
    Jules,

Glad to see you back on-line. :)

I see now that you've created a link in your signature that leads to your gallery... that works for me. :) I thought James might be adding a button at the top of the page such as "Member Galleries" that might link to a page listing all the member galleries.

Another question referring to private and public: Does private mean only open to paying members and public mean open to anyone visiting BPN?

Dave Phillips

it is important to note(repeat) to do all downsizing and sharpening to finished
    size before uploading. If they are resized in the gallery, they will generally be very soft
    and I mean very soft.