Thread: Tamron 28-300 experiences?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tamron 28-300 experiences?

I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience with the Tamron 28-300 that goes for about $600. I ask because the range seems ideal for walking around and exploring with. Canon has a 28-300 but it goes for about $2000.

Alfred Forns

Can't go wrong with the price Rocky I've never tried the extreme zoom lenses but do look appealing !!! I think Artie had the Canon at Bosque on year and it was great for the early morning shots at the flight deck !!

Joan Chasan

I had an older version of the 28-300 tamron (6 yrs old). for my minolta cameras. It was ok on those and very converinet.When I upgraded to the sony A700, it was very soft. I now have the sony 18-250 and it is much better. believe tamron makes the same lens.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Rocky,
    I had a Tamron 28-300 Di zoom lens back in 2004-05. I really liked the size and weight as I always took it out hiking with me. I used it exclusively until I bought the 1-400L in July 05. Here's a JPG sample straight from the camera. Techs are as follows: Digital Rebel, f6.3, 1/4s, ISO 200, +2/3 EC, tripod, cable release. At the time, I didn't shoot RAW, had no idea about MLU, was afraid to shoot over 200 ISO, and knew nothing about exposure. I have a few that I processed to standards I still find acceptable today but of course those standards vary among individuals.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rocky,
    I first bought the Tamron 28-300 XR in 2003, and used it first with a Canon EOS-3, then a 20D. It was the lens that stayed on the camera body most of the time. I recently bought the newest version (with stabilization, which Tamron calls VC, and updated coatings for digital); now it's the new most-used lens. Very versatile, and I love the close focus (19.5") throughout the zoom range.