Thread: Showy Ladyslippers

Steve Patterson

Default Showy Ladyslippers

State flower of Minnesota. This was taken with a gold reflector, which highlights the flowers and makes for the black background...but all natural light (no flash). Beautiful bog flower...not unlike an orchid.

40D 100mm f/2.8 macro
    1/250 f/10 iso 400

Last edited by Steve Patterson; 06-04-2009 at 09:11 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, Not unlike an orchid, because it is one. Cypripedium regina. It is an incredibly beautiful native North American woodland flower. I have been growing these under lights for about five years, but am still waiting to successfully bloom them.

I like your composition, but would like to see some more room on three sides, T, R, & L. Thanks for sharing. - John

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Patterson View Post
    State flower of Minnesota. This was taken with a gold reflector, which highlights the flowers and makes for the black background...but all natural light (no flash). Beautiful bog flower...not unlike an orchid.

Julie Kenward

Steve, I really like the use of the gold reflector in this case because it really adds a special glow and warmth to the greenery in the image. It does leave the BG about 90% dark and I'd suggest either bringing it all the way down to knock out the few places where we can see through to the BG or else use a shadows/highlight adjustment to open it up a bit more so we can get a little more detail in the BG...either would work in this case.

The only thing I find really distracting to the image is the one small stem in the foreground that doesn't really go with anything - I'd clone that out if you aren't opposed to such things.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Steve,
    It does have a neat spotlight look to it and find the dark BG really brings out the beauty of the ladyslippers. I agree with John on more room on the left and with Jules on the FG stem. I would opt for the dark bg.....but it's not to everyones tastes. Pretty good DOF for f10 too!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey, another Steve from Bemidji! :) Very nice light, sharpness, DOF, and the raindrops are a plus. These must be from last year (?) as the few that I've seen during this cool, late spring are just sprouting now. I like the dark background with just a hint of detail (rather that pure black). I would wish for a little more room on the left and that the leaf wasn't "touching" the flower on the left. I would agree about cloning the one small stem in the foreground.

Steve Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Maxson View Post
    Hey, another Steve from Bemidji! :) Very nice light, sharpness, DOF, and the raindrops are a plus. These must be from last year (?) as the few that I've seen during this cool, late spring are just sprouting now. I like the dark background with just a hint of detail (rather that pure black). I would wish for a little more room on the left and that the leaf wasn't "touching" the flower on the left. I would agree about cloning the one small stem in the foreground.
    Hey....small world! These are from the bog at the state park last July 2nd. I should have done a little better job with in camera composition as I don't think I cropped this at all. All I remember was trying to avoid the mosquitoes..............Thanks for commenting. I am surprised there are two of us from Bemidji on the forum, little out of the way town that we are. Cool.

Fabs Forns

Great suggestions above, and very dramatic image with lots to like!