800 ISO
    Matrix Metering
    Tripod

Comments welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lance, I love the high-key BG. and the low shooting angle. Details look good! Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the low angle here, Lance. The high-key BG sets off the bird nicely. I do think it could use a little more space on the right to get the bird out of the center. Well done!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

the low angle is perfect as is the exposure and detail in the bird and the pose. for my taste it is too big in the frame. i'd like to give it some room the breathe.

Gus Cobos

I like the capture Mr. Peters...love the high-key effect, it compliments the whites on the bird, and love the ultra low capture angle...good show...:cool:

Alfred Forns

Lovely in every way Lance Would also like a little more room but again its just personal taste !!! Big Congrats !!!

Nonda Surratt

Super nice Lance..A bit more space maybe?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lance,

Nice picture, I am not a big fan of high-key. Still trying to expand my horizons.
    Last edited by Jeff Cashdollar; 06-03-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Lance Peters

Good suggestions - I agree - a little more space would improve :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am a big believer in high-key images. They have a definite graphic quality, and place attention firmly on the subject. This is a good thing too, for there are situations where good detail and exposure of a subject are going to create a high-key image, for if you expose for the background, the subject will be underexposed. I realize this can be rectified by fill flash, and thus get the subject and background exposure "correct", but I am such a fan of high-key that I often purposely shoot for the result. Bright overcast conditions are ideal, although backlit subjects, especially with white birds, are also a good possibility.
    There is a problem with how to deal with a background that you intend to be white, yet some details remain. Simple enough with a brush of the same white as the background, but how does one deal with a foreground you which to preserve, and its interface with the white background? I think that is a problem with this image, and perhaps a blur brush might have helped smooth the transition, for it doesn't look right on the left side of the bird.
    The size of the subject in the frame, and being pretty much placed in the middle, are problems as well. I think that reduction of the subject size would allow more compostional possibilities.
    Hope I've been helpful~Bill