Thread: Everglades - Best time to visit.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Everglades - Best time to visit.

Hello everyone,

About 4 years ago I travelled from the UK and spent two weeks in the Everglades National Park, Florida, staying at the Flamingo Lodge in Flamingo itself.

I was thinking of a return trip next February/March but I understand that Flamingo Lodge is no longer in use due to damage sustained during Hurricane Wilma.

Does anyone local to the area have any info on this or when the best time is to visit the Everglades. My last trip concentrated mainly around the Anhinga Trail, Shark Valley, Eco Pond and a solitary trip to the Wakodahatchee Wetlands. It was a great experience.

Kindest regards to all.

Doug

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Doug I find the Everglades can be very hit or miss. February/March is a good time, but still hit or miss. The last few years the glades have been very dry and mismanaged, but like this past year Fabs and Al were there for their workshop and it was great, but then a week later very slow. I was there in April and not much at all. Now, Wako can be counted on for some great opportunities that time.

Judd Patterson

Doug, you are correct that the Flamingo Lodge is no longer in use...in fact it was torn down a couple months ago. There are plans for a replacement, but it is still a ways off. From November-May, camping is a wonderful alternative both at Long Pine Key and Flamingo within the park. If you need a little more comfort there are also some nice hotels in Homestead/Florida City, including a Holiday Inn Express that seems to be popular.

I disagree that the park is hit or miss...I have really not had a bad day in the park anytime when the mosquitoes are manageable (November-May at a minimum). Sometimes the hot spots like Anhinga Trail or Eco Pond might be less active, but there is really a lot to explore if you are flexible and willing to take to a trail...or even without a trail. I would urge you to consider hiking into a cypress dome, walking one of the coastal salt marsh trails, walking through the pineland trail system, visiting some of the fill lakes that are just off the main park road (nice sunset options), etc. I think you would have another really fun trip if you visited during the core November-May season. Let us know when you decide to visit and we can update you on local conditions.

Alfred Forns

Hi Doug

It all depends on what you are looking for? The classic time is Jan and Feb with lots of activity in Anhinga. At Flamingo the activity will last a little longer with the Ospreys nesting ... and lots of it.

For staying would suggest in Florida City which is about twenty minutes to the Anhinga. The Holiday Inn Express would be a good place. One advantage to staying there is being and easier ride to Waco and Green Cay. You would be a the start of the Turnpike and Waco is at exit 81 About on hour fifteen !!!

If you have a date let us know and will give you whats available !!!! btw for of the beaten path in the park can't think of anyone better than Judd !!! He does know it well !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello everyone,

I am truly grateful for all your comments.

At the moment my visit to the Everglades next year will probably be towards the end of February. Sadly due to other commitments I doubt if it will be longer than a week on this occasion. I'll probably therefore need to concentrate on venues where I will be guaranteed a reasonable amount of wildlife (eg. Anhinga Trail, Shark Valley etc.) rather than chance wasting a day from a limited schedule. Having said that if there are any trails, off the beaten path, that are worthy of consideration I would appreciate any tips.

I'll certainly look at the areas that you've mentioned for alternative accommodation to Flamingo Lodge.

Many thanks,

Doug.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good Morning , Question, when i was racing bikes, a bunch of guys, and gals met early am on the weekends, and grouped up for rides. Is there any activities where you folks are going to glades as a group, and shooting.. just a thought, i live in boca, and i'm new to the hobby.
    Thks for your input.
    Don

PS: Doug, give me a shout when you are coming, as green cay, and waco are 10-15 minutes from my house, let's hookup, and get some great shots. If you need anything while your in the area, give me a call 561-212-7358, or flyinghamiltons@comcast.net
    Last edited by Don Hamilton Jr.; 10-27-2009 at 06:49 AM.