Thread: Refine Edge Tutorial

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Refine Edge Tutorial

The short article below, written especially for BPN, will teach you how to teach yourself to use Refine Edge to control the appearance of the edges of the selections that you make and adjust. The article was featured in BIRDS AS ART Bulletin #290. Check it out for more tips and lots of great images with our legendary BAA educational captions:

www.birdsasart.com/bn290.htm

REFINE EDGE TUTORIAL

When making adjustments to selected areas, it is important to consider how the edges will be rendered. For years, folks feathered their selections but the results were often hit or miss, and often unsatisfactory. CS3 (and CS4) offer Refine Edge, a much more sophisticated way to control the appearances of the edges of selected areas. The main idea is to avoid the cookie cutter look that comes with edges that are too sharp. The best thing about Refine Edges is that it teaches you as you work and allows you to see how the edge will look by clicking Preview on and off as you go.

Make your selection. Then, to best control the appearance of the edges, click Select/Refine Edges, or better yet, learn the keyboard shortcut: Alt/Control/R. The first thing that you should do is to click on the middle of the five ring symbols. This will turn the non-selected area black and allow you to see the edges accurately. Next, note the default values: Radius: 1.0 px, Contrast, 0%, Smooth: 3, Feather: 1.0 px, and Contract/Expand 0%.

Next, to help with the learning process, place your cursor over each of the sliders above. As you do this, an explanation of the effects of moving this slider will appear under the word “Description” at the bottom of the Refine Edge dialogue box. If it does not, simply click on the double down-facing arrow; it will become a double up-facing arrow. Work your way through each of the five items.

If you have followed directions properly so far, the selected area will look as it did in the original image and the non-selected area will be black. Before continuing with your Refine Edge-ucation, it is best to zoom in on an edge. Hit “Z” for the zoom tool and then draw a box around the area that you wish to enlarge; let the cursor go, and voila! Now, begin to play around with each slider or with the sliders in various combinations, and note the changes in the sharpness or the fuzziness of the edge detail. At some point, be sure to move each slider all the way from one end of the scale to the other; this will help you to understand what each slider does. Be sure to give it a few seconds to crank out the changes, more time if you have a slow computer.

If you will be using Protect and Defend Techniques (see in Digital Basics: https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252), it is often best to have the edges only slightly blurred. If you are going to run Noise Reduction on the background, you would usually want a higher degree of blurring while at the same time contracting the selection of the background (using the Expand/Contract slider in Refine Edge) to keep the Noise Reduction from spilling over onto the subject. And if you are doing a Gaussian Blur on a layer mask you will want a high degree of blurring (hint: now is the time to up the Feathering setting). You can always erase the edges of the subject if the Gaussian Blur spills over. Once you have completed your edge refinement, click OK.

Next, view the image full size and see how it looks. Finally, zoom way in on one or two spots and check your results. If there is too much or too little blur, or if there are jagged edges or artifacting, you can always go back and start again.

By using Refine Edge you learn while doing, you can actually see what you are doing, and your results will be pleasing. And the more you practice the better your results will be.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super tutorial, Artie, thanks, I learned alot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Arthur. I have learned a lot with this tutorial.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you both. It is a fabulous technique.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Art...printed this out...will read tonite when at home...Paul

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are welcome Paul. One of the coolest things about using RE is that you learn while you do as long as you look at the little explanations at the bottom and click Preview on and off.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default #1-RE

Attached Images Attached Images

First try at using refine edges, went through it slowly, have to practice with different images. These Cliff Swallows were collecting mud to build nests, crappy out, overcast, I was sitting under a bridge.

I'll work on background of the image later but used it to mask and Refine Edges to go through tutorial.

Do you see any glaring mistakes...this is tougher than it seems..biggest problem I have is getting the masking even...

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Lagasi; 06-28-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Paul, With James Shadle's help, I was finally able to approve the photo. Sorry that it took so long. The image is of a wren, most likely a house wren, but you mentioned Cliff Swallow. Let me know if this is the image that you meant to post.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Great tute Maestro!

I read Rob Amoruso commenting on this Refine Edge business ages ago and I worked it all out for myself by accident and have incorporated it into my workflow now.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie: I was in a hurry and sent wrong photo....the above photo was original I posted of the wren, I did work on the edges...when I get back to Canada I will change the image...sorry for confusion
    Paul

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks and no problema.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Lagasi View Post
    First try at using refine edges, went through it slowly, have to practice with different images. These Cliff Swallows were collecting mud to build nests, crappy out, overcast, I was sitting under a bridge. I'll work on background of the image later but used it to mask and Refine Edges to go through tutorial.
    Do you see any glaring mistakes...this is tougher than it seems..biggest problem I have is getting the masking even... Paul
    The edges of the subject bird look fine (but that bird is a bit over-SATed).