Thread: It Ain't Just Spoonbills

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default It Ain't Just Spoonbills I

Attached Images Attached Images

Still on Tampa Bay with James Shadle aboard the Hooptie: (THUR 31 JAN). I had moved in close to photograph the landing cormorants when a bunch of pellies started landing. Too close for horizontals I rotated to VERT in hopes of making a few large in the frame images with both wings cut off equally. Imagine my surprise when I chimped on this one! You gotta love digital...

Canon 500mm F/4 L IS lens with the 1.4X II TC and the EOS 1DMIII. Gitzo 3530 LSV tripod with Mongoose M3.5 head. ISO 500. Evaluative metering +1 stop of the sky (we had a slight haze): 1/1000 sec. at f/7.1 confirmed by histogram check.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Later and love, artie

ps The sharp mangroves in the ORIG flie were selected with a Quick Mask and softened with a 30 pixel Gaussian Blur.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 02-02-2008 at 05:06 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great pose, details and composition. I also like the OOF leaves at the bottom.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's great! To quote a popular show "I love it when a plan comes together."

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent pose captured and nice eye contact well done getting this especially shooting on vert. Perfect!!!!!

Don Saunders

The positions of the wings, head, and feet, along with the wonderful texture in the feathers, combine to make this image very special!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thats a sweet shot Artie, details look good in the dark feathers., and I like how it did a head turn for you!! cool.

Graham Owen

I think the pellies love you Artie, and this one wants a big hug.
    This is such a crisp, dynamic and gorgeous image, truly remarkable. I wouldn't change a thing.

Cheers,
    Graham

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose, details and timing. Not sure of those oof leaves at bottom.

Christopher C.M. Cooke

I always thought that our Australian Pelicans were the most photogenic but I have obviously forgotten the beautiful birds of the tropics (I originally came from Trinidad and Tobago) that is a seriously beautiful bird.

I won't attempt to comment on your technique Artie, that would be trite of me.:)

Mike Poe

You sure that isn't a Orchestra Conductor dressed in a Pelican suit ? Great image!

Vincent Grafhorst

Awesome pose Artie, but its the eye contact that puts this photo over the top! Did you shoot this vertical?
    My other question (not critique) is why you did not opt for more DOF since it is a large bird, flying in your direction, to reduce the risk of having the head OOF? With the good iso performance of your 1D3 you could have gone higher and maintain your high SS.

By the way to answer your question to my red bishop post, yes I live in Botswana but I am originally from the Netherlands. I have not posted the giraffe photo in my avitar, but I will do so later this week, I would like to hear what you think of it.

Cheers,

Vincent Grafhorst
    www.khwaiphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Grafhorst View Post
    Awesome pose Artie, but its the eye contact that puts this photo over the top! Did you shoot this vertical?

My other question (not critique) is why you did not opt for more DOF since it is a large bird, flying in your direction, to reduce the risk of having the head OOF? With the good iso performance of your 1D3 you could have gone higher and maintain your high SS.

By the way to answer your question to my red bishop post, yes I live in Botswana but I am originally from the Netherlands. I have not posted the giraffe photo in my avitar, but I will do so later this week, I would like to hear what you think of it.

Cheers, Vincent Grafhorst
    Hi Vincent, The image above is the full frame vertical original; that's why I was so amazed that I got the whole bird in the frame. As for the d-o-f, folks do not realize that d-o-f at a given aperture is a function of the distance to the subject. D-o-f is most critical when photographiing small birds at point blank range, not so important when photogrpahing large birds at much greater distances.

What are you doing in Botswana? Do you live in the wilds or in a city?

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Maxis Gamez

This is excellent, I don't have a problem with the trees in the BG as it give the image dept of field.

Arlene Spagna

Artie, just a comment...
    Thanks for providing detailed technical info in your posts.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome image. Great capture, and being vertical even more so!
    Yours in Wildness
    Ted