Thread: Not a Golden-winged!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Not a Golden-winged!

Attached Images Attached Images

We set out to photograph Golden-winged Warbler near Monterey, VA. I was glad to get this one of a bird singing but when I got the images on the laptop I realized that something was amiss, there was no black throat.

This male Brewster's (a Golden-winged X Blue-winged Hybrid) Warbler was photographed with the Canon 800mm f/5.6L lens, the 1.4X II TC, and the EOS-1D MIII. Flash at zero with the Better Beamer. This is a second generation back cross. Blue-winged is out-competing Golden-winged for limited habitat and pure Golden-wingeds are decreasing in numbers.

As a result of mis-setting the flash (I forgot to reduce the flash after changing the flash head batteries) this image was very light out of the box but Levels and Selecitve Color adjustments worked wonders as the image was not over-exposed. I did some considerable BKGR clean-up here.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. I am here to learn too.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The first thing I wondered when I looked at the image and specs was why you had the flash set at 0; thanks for the explanation. It's a fantastic singing pose with great eye contact. You did some nice things with the exposure in PP. About the only thing I'd change would be to lessen the visual impact of the vertical brown branch on the left.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    The first thing I wondered when I looked at the image and specs was why you had the flash set at 0; thanks for the explanation. It's a fantastic singing pose with great eye contact. You did some nice things with the exposure in PP. About the only thing I'd change would be to lessen the visual impact of the vertical brown branch on the left.
    Thanks Doug. The lesson is that using lots more flash as "fill" on clear days might be a great plan.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice save!! :)

Wonderful singing pose with perfect head angle!

Not sure what's going on along the upper half of the right edge with the brown "smudges"
    but might want to get rid of it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you can't tell what has been made with PS during edtition, that's a job well done :)
    I love the powerfull singing pose, light is very nice, BG looks good and perch looks good as well, IMHO I fin the other OOF sticks a bit distracting, still wish it was mine ;)
    Congratulations!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose and image, great PS treatment of overexposed image
    (I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell us)
    seems we are running out of Golden-winged Warblers at
    a very high rate. It is good idea to document them
    by high quality photography before they are all gone.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp, super pose, and well timed to capture the open beak. I like the colours on him too. Well captured Artie.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ilija Dukovski View Post
    Great pose and image, great PS treatment of overexposed image. (I wouldn't have known if you didn't tell us). Seems we are running out of Golden-winged Warblers at a very high rate. It is good idea to document them by high quality photography before they are all gone.
    Ilija, The RAW was very light, not at all over-exposed, i.e., nothing at 255 and no flashing highlights. It was a theoretically perfect exposure.

Well, the plan was to photograph a Golden-winged, but....

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the composition, light and the FANTASTIC singing pose of this bird but the white areas on the face seems to be very bright (instead of the fact that they are not on the 255 level). I agree with Dough regarding the vertical band on the left.

Linda Robbins

Killer singing pose and perfect composition. Very interesting explanation of the cross. Another vote for eliminating the vertical band on the left in this striking image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice shot, but I think the OOF branch on the left is distrating. Also there is no need for the branch to the right. I would recommend a vertical crop for the image. I have attached a quick crop for your consideration. Maybe a little tight, but I think it is close to what I would do with the image.

Linda Robbins

Mark, I have to disagree with your repost....it is way,way too tight. The original comp is far better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too like the original comp. Just eliminate the vert. band on left. Love the singing pose.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Artie. Love that singing pose!