Thread: Tailless Song Sparrow

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tailless Song Sparrow

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 40D, Manual, 1/50 @ f/5.0, ISO 400, 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200 mm, flash fill

I don't know if this bird lost its tail to a predator or if the species moults, but in winter? It surely can't be a juvenile at this time of year?

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice pose, perch and complementing BG. It is a bit tight in the frame for me and it seems a bit oversharpened. I might clone out the OOF branch in the lower left.

Fabs Forns

What a face!!! The pose seems to make the head so prominent in relation the the body. Nice colors, agree on cloning the OOF branch.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice clean photo of a common bird. NIce exposure. I have scrub jay nearby without a tail. I don't know how they fly like that.

Tim

Anita Rakestraw

Gotta admire the patterns in the feathering of this little guy even if he is basically a "common" little sparrow! Your detail is great and so is the complementing perch and background. I suspect he lost his tail making a narrow escape from a predator; while birds do molt, they rarely lose all their tail feathers at the same time while molting. I have seen birds instantly shed ALL their tail feathers, however, to avoid being caught.