Thread: Bosque Sandhill Pair

Steve Wheeler

Default Bosque Sandhill Pair

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello all...

This image created on my first trip to Bosque del Apache this last Nov. over Thanksgiving week. I've always loved the outdoors and have been to some pretty neat locations, but that was a magical trip and a magical place. We were at one of the crane pools on the west side of the main road comming into the refuge after the early morning blast off trying to catch some sandhill in flight shots.

I like the position of the birds relative to one another... one set of wings up, one down. I like the BG colors (one of the the things that makes that place so special that time of year I suspect). I've only had my camera since July and have only been using LightRoom for PP so I'm new at both. From what I understand LRs noise reduction capabilities aren't what some of the plug-ins for PS are. I know it's noisy.

Would appreciate any feed back you might have!

Steve

Nov. 23, 07 @ 9:18am & as I recall it was a bit overcast that morning as we had a wonderful sunrise.
    30D w/ 100-400 @ 285mm, ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/640

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome. I like the background colors and the sharpness and the juxtasposition of the two birds but not the wing position of the front bird.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Steve Wheeler

Thank you Art... I appreciate your time and comments a great deal.

Obviously nothing can be done about the wing position here.... For future reference... What should I be looking for in wing position in a shot like this?

In other words... How might this have been better?

Thank you so much!

Steve

Axel Hildebrandt

Adding to Artie's comment, it looks quite dark on my monitor and I would crop a bit off the top.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, YAW. Wings in the full downstroke position is A#1 with wings in the full upstroke postion a close second. In most cases you cannot "look" for good wing positions... Once the bird is in the "zone" (good light angle, coming toward you and the light or paralleling your position, and relatively large in the frame, take several images ASAP and hope for the best.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Steve Wheeler

MOST appreciated Art! Makes sense.... And I understand what your saying about looking for it. Guess I was thinking about selecting a specific frame out of a sequence as THE one.... My typing fingers stray from my thoughts sometimes!

Thanks again and thank you Axel as well.

Steve

Robert Amoruso

Nice work with the 100-400mm. I like how the birds contrast so well with the background. Does appear a bit dark.