Thread: Tips & Tricks using the 300 f/2.8

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tips & Tricks using the 300 f/2.8

Hi and Wow!

I used to call my 100-400 Canon's canon - Ha! - this is definitely my new "canon". Yeah, I know, this is not about whose is bigger; yours is - this is the biggest I have :D

Now to the serious side:

T&T for both HH and tripod use (I have a Sidekick). :confused:

For example, when you HH do you remove the tripod collar?

I can't think of the questions to ask; relying on your experience with either the 300 or larger/heavier to share you experience.

Thanks,

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Jay. Welcome to the club! I love my 300 2.8 for my kind of shooting (all-around nature, not just birds). I leave the tripod collar on at all times, including when handholding. It kind of helps to be able to have that handle when carrying and shooting handheld. It also makes a nice tabletop stand when you're taking a break.

By the way, I use mine with a RRS ballhead and Sidekick, which works great -- no need for the frowny face! If you are a generalist shooter then having the Sidekick plus ballhead is a great advantage over a full Wimberley or a Mongoose or similar because you can quickly take off the sidekick and mount a different lens/camera on the ballhead for other images.

Cheers,
    Greg Basco
    Last edited by Greg Basco; 05-13-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: forgot something

Alfred Forns

Hi Jay Regarding the collar I take the collar off for hand holding all the time. Makes no sense having more weight on the lens, every little bit helps.

Also for walking around and hand holding, normally use the lighter 50D body rather than the Pro body, again saving weight. Remember when doing still subjects if you use converts and the camera magnification to hold steady, its not a casual lens !!!! Big Congrats !!!

I find that lens one of the most charismatic in the line up and might be the sharpest. My only problem is the odd focal length so more often than not opt for longer and also carrying a shorter flight lens !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't own the 300, but I leave the collar on both my 500 and 600 when hand holding (for the same reasons that Greg described).
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Alfred Forns

Doug with long lenses keeping on is a no brainer since its difficult to remove and you don't hand hold for that long a time.

While hand holding shorter lenses with collars you are much better off turning the collar out of the way and supporting the lens by the front (extending your had) Balances much better and will make sharper images. Using the collar for support will not be as steady but they are good for carrying the lens around.

Might want to look at images of Artie hand holding lenses !!!! ... btw Artie has taken to the 400DO and it hangs around his neck with no collar.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have had the EF 400/5,6L USM and now own the wonderful EF 300/2.8L IS USM, i handhold both lenses with the collar down for one big reason! I rest the plate in my hand while i easily can adjust focus with my fingertips! Itīs maybe not as sturdy as when you rest the lens without the collar. But it makes manual focus much easier!

/Magnus

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do turn the collar away when I shoot hand held. Looking at the back of the camera and down the barrel of the lens, I turn the collar to about 8 o'clock. Jim Neiger leaves it in the 6 o'clock position but that's never been comfortable for me.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I shoot a lot with the 400 f/5.6 and I typically turn the collar so that the plate is at about the 10 o'clock position. I find that this gives me added stability by resting on the heel of my hand and I can touch up focus if needed. If I find a situation where I can rest the lens on something like a fence or picnic table, I rotate it back around to the normal mounting position and rest the lens on the plate.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

When hand holding the 300 f/2.8 I turn the lens foot straight up to the 12:00 position. This way I can manually tweak focus when necessary, no way to do this when placing the lens foot in the palm of your hand. I often manually tweak focus to maintain in-camera comp with wildlife, focus on flock of birds, etc.

Eventually, you will find your own comfort zone and adapt accordingly, it will come with more time spent in the field and after familiarizing yourself with the new equipment under various circumstances.

Best,

Chas