Thread: Maligne Lake Sunset

Patrick Kriner

Default Maligne Lake Sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

Lake Maligne near Jasper in the Canadian Rockies. Taken this past September. Nion D2Xs, Nikkor 18-200mm @ 48mm, 1/4 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, Adobe Lightroom, CS3.

Maxis Gamez

Hello Patric and welcome to BPN.

I really like the composition and reflection in this image. I do see a strong green cast over the photograph. The warm light and clouds really adds to the image.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Patrick!

Beautiful area, looks like you had some great light at the time of this image. I like the vertical composition with the reflection, but it all seems a little cramped to me. If possible I think shooting the scene a little looser, allowing more room at top and bottom between the peak and the edge of the frame may have made for a stronger image. What looks like a really pretty sky is not given enough space to be a strong element in the image, while the dark area of trees with little detail to capture the eye occupies a great deal of the frame. I would love to see more from here, thanks for posting, hope to see more!

Jason
    Last edited by Jason Hahn; 01-02-2008 at 06:48 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this image very much. Fantastic reflection and colors.
    Szimi

Robert Amoruso

Patrick,

You can try using a levels adjustment to either (a) set a white point and black point for (b) gray point in a neutral area of the image to get rid of the color cast. A selection on the dark areas of trees and reflections and a curves adjustment might help as well but I kind of like the dark brooding look of the image.

I am OK with the crop but Jason's suggestion is a great alternate and a good reason try different perspectives and focal lengths when at the location.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work and welcome.

Paul Marcellini

Beautiful scenery here Patrick. The light on the mountain is great. With so much dark in the middle of the image it does take away, I would actually like to see more sky and less reflection if you took that comp. Otherwise, bringing up the shadows as already pointed out will make it much stronger.

Paul