Thread: White Ibis

Jay R. Seltzer

Default White Ibis

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken near the end of wildlife drive in Ding Darling - Sanibel, FL. It was right as the sun set with the light falling on the bird and tree but leaving the background in complete shade.

Canon Eos D30
    100-400mm at 350mm
    f/8
    1/750 - handheld
    ISO 100

Judy Lynn Malloch

I like the pose and right on exposure as well as very sharp. I would like to see more room at the top and bottom as it is quite tight and possilbly a vertical crop would work well if you have the extra canvas as the large branch to the right does not hold much impostance in this capture. Thanks for sharing.

Jay R. Seltzer

Thanks Judy, I agree... I felt something was not quite right about the branch off to the right. If I recall, I didn't catch much below the bird's feet but may have room above. I'll review the masters to see if I can crop better.

Jay Seltzer

Mike Wilson

I like the vertical crop suggestion, lightening the midtones would help this one quite a bit. Good image.

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice pose and eye contact. It does look very dark on my monitor and the bird is too tight in the frame top and bottom.

Jody Melanson

This might be better as a vertical? To brighten it up, just duplicate your image and change Blend Mode to Screen. Then reduce the opacity on the Screen layer until it looks good. You can then Mask out the log to keep it dark.

Jay R. Seltzer

Default Modifications

Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I modified the original, with exposure and fill adjustments and some cloning and a vertical crop and I think it does indeed look much better.

Jay Seltzer