Thread: Wood duck male

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wood duck male

Attached Images Attached Images

Let me know what you think. I know the BG sucks. But that is where the duck was...in shade and pretty close to some well-lit bushes in the BG. There is a slight shake as well. I was handholding my "300 f4 non-is + 1.4x combo". Please let me know the other shortfalls of the image and what I can improve upon.

technical details: 40d. 1/60. f/5.6. 420ex flash. I dont recollect the flash exp. compensation. might be +1. pulled up one stop in DPP during raw conversion. no cropping.

Thanks for looking.

Kaustubh

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to BPN Kaustubh! Nice first post. You will find lots of excellent advice here.

The BG doesn't bother me too much, and the open bill is a bonus.Nice head turn as well. The image looks a bit dark on my moniter and you have lost detail in the blacks as a result. Next time you might want to try some more plus compensation.

Also if you have more room at the bottom, you should add some canvas, because it is a little tight in the frame at the bottom.

Looking forward to more!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That sure looks like one happy fellow!! Good comp, but agree with Aidan for more room below (and at top but to a lesser extent). Probably didn't need the 1.4 TC for this particular scene, and you would have gained a bit of light too. I know what you mean about the BG, but by toning down a few of the worst offending bright spots in ULC and LRC it should look a little better. I see a greenish cast on the duck, no doubt caused by the nearby foliage, but still a good idea to correct it.