Thread: Another unknown wild flower

John Christian

Default Trout Liliy

Attached Images Attached Images

Again, I am not sure what this one is???? I found it Friday evening in a swamp area. The yellow of the flower seemed to pop with the setting sun.

Nikon D80, Nikor 105mm 2.8 Micro/f10 @ 1/6 sec/tripod/matrix metering/manual/ISO 100

I think the green leave behind the flower may be distracting. I was trying to get as much as the flower in focus as possible. I bracketed with f-stop to play with the DOF. This one seemed the best.

Look forward to your suggestions.

Thank you to Ed for educating me on the flower. :D
    Last edited by John Christian; 04-27-2009 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Changed title

Ed Vatza

First off, let's get the id out of the way. The flower is a Trout Lily - one of my favorites. Here is a link to one that I posted recently - http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=34618.

I think the flower looks good although you seem to have come at it from the back rather than the side or front. The yellow could probably stand to be desaturated just a tiny bit but that would be your call. And I think the background is a little too busy, not terrible but a little too busy. Hope this helps.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the composition here. The textures on the petals have come out well (albeit the slightly over-saturated yellow regions). Ed has pretty much talked of other aspects which I concur with.

Mike Fuhr

I don't mind you coming at this from the back of the lily -- I like that. Good detail. I do agree with Ed on the background -- too busy for me.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey John,
    Neat idea on the angle. Ed is correct on the ID.....I just did one a few days ago.....I will add......don't be afraid to use some bark laying around on the floor or even some moss or a big leaf.....to act as a bg for your image. I probably spend more time policing my BG than actually worrying about the flower itself. Even removing the dead leaves? in the BG would have worked to make the image pop more.

John Christian

Thanks for the advice and the information.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, thanks for posting this one. I found some yesterday morning in woods in our neighborhood, but the blooms had not yet opened. You saved me the problem of asking for help identifying it!

I like unusual angles on subjects, so I'm glad you chose this view. If you can get back to some blooms, try cleaning up the BG, or brnging in some good textured items.

Julie Kenward

Sorry...been home sick with a cold today...I agree with everyone else on the busy BG and the nice flower position but I'd consider cropping off the bottom above that lower leaf. There seems to be a stick down there near that lowest leaf and if you cropped right above it I think your comp would be a bit stronger.

Mike Moats

Hey John, nice sharp details on the flower, agree on the busy BG, try setting the camera lower and shooting parallel to the ground it can sometimes offer less distractions.