Thread: Germany in mid-May

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Germany in mid-May

I'll be travelling to Germany in mid-May for business and I am considering spending a weekend there for photographing birds. Any sure thing hotspots during that time? I am pretty flexible as for location and type of birds.

Thanks. JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As Germany is a quite large country. Would you specify the region or city you are visiting? :)

Szimi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You're of course right. I'll be in the Frankfurt/Main area but would consider also going to the Northern Sea or down to Bavaria if there are great opportunities. Thanks, JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The North Sea is just recommended. Not sure how much time you have but Helgoland is one place where you can have some awesome opportunities. If you check the relevant page of my website as an example you can see some of the potential outcome.

I have no info of the Bavarian possibilities.Might be less attractive than the North Sea (however I might be wrong :) ).

Szimi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback. You have some truly spectacular images. Do you know if the Gannets are still around in mid-May?

JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Rain View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. You have some truly spectacular images. Do you know if the Gannets are still around in mid-May?

JR
    Sure they are. I have visited the island at that time and it was cool. Some pairs just started building nest while others were incubating.

Szimi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looked at the logistics of getting to/from Helgoland and my schedule unfortunately won't allow it. Bummer.

Any suggestions in the Frankfurt/Main area?

Thanks, JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,

are you able to read German language? If yes, that website might be interesting for you:

http://www.hgon-birdnet.de/birdnet/index.aspx

As I live in southern Bavaria (over the weekends) and work in Frankfurt (being there during the week), I find the Frankfurt area quite disappointing for birds. The above website is dedicated to and maintained by birdwatchers, but the birds are in most cases to far even for a 800 lens.

How much time do you have?

Regards

Bernd

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bernd,

Thank you for the input. Yes, I can speak and read German.

I've learned the hard way that what gets birders excited is often still far from what we need. Hence, my question for good sites for photography as I have not a lot of time during this visit. At the moment, it looks like I'll be able to stay a weekend before flying back to the US on Monday. I am not at all tied to the FRA area during that weekend as long as it is somewhat easy to reach and offers good opportunities I can travel to other regions.

Best, JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John,

your German language skills make thinks much easier ;-), most of our nature oriented websites an in German only.

Close to Frankfurt (approx. 2 hours by car), we have three National Parks:

Kellerwald: http://www.nationalpark-kellerwald-e...Home/index.php
    Hainich: http://www.nationalpark-hainich.de/

Both National Parks are not really good for birds but for landscape, especially beech woods.

Harz: http://www.nationalpark-harz.de/

From my point-of-view the most interesting one, where you have a chance (I do not say "good chance" by purpose) to find raptors and grouses.

Our best birding sites are at the far North of Germany (Helgoland was mentioned), which will take around 6 hours by car (or train, which I would not recommend).

There is one chance going to the North: The island of Sylt has an airport (Westerland/Sylt). There is a flight leaving Düsseldorf at 16:25 on Fridays (Düsseldorf Airport is 1:30 hours from Frankfurt by train or you can take a connecting flight) and a flight going back to Düsseldorf at 14:00 on Sunday (or 15:15 to Stuttgart which is approx. the same distance to Frankfurt).

http://www.sylt.de/

Sylt is in the National Park "Schleswig-Holsteinisches Wattenmeer" http://www.wattenmeer-nationalpark.de/content.htm

Regards

Bernd

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Bernd for the tip flying to Sylt from Duesseldorf or Stuttgart. I'll look into it. JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all who contributed. Unfortunately, my (crazy) schedule didn't allow to go for Sylt or Helgoland. But maybe someone else might find this helpful. JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Any other chance? Was there some outcome of your trip?

Szimi

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Szimi,

I am a bit embarrassed to admit that at the end I punted. My 7 day schedule required me to travel also to Belgium as well as to the East Coast on my way back to the US and I decided it's too much of a hassle to schlepp my gear everywhere for max. two days of photographing.

Thank you both, Szimi and Bernd, though for the info provided. There is a good chance that I'll be going to Germany again this year. Hopefully I'll be having some more time then...

Best, JR

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi JR,
    sorry, that I've seen your post not before.
    If you come to Germany you can send me a PM and I'll try to help you to find something here. I live 1 1/2 hour from Frankfurt so, easy to manage this, I think!
    Hope 2 c u!
    Rosl