Thread: Least Sandpiper

Sean McMahon

Default Least Sandpiper

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi everyone,

I sat still on my butt on the rocks at the ocean facing Black Point, Narragansett, RI for 20 minutes, and this foraging Least Sandpiper was so busy and focused on finding little bits of whatever saltwater hors d'oeurves were there, he walked within feet of... my feet.

Putting him nice and close, ~in the peak range of my 75-300.

My own nits:
    I wish his head was a little more forward and down so it would give the illusion of him looking at the camera.
    I nailed the eye, but wonder if I closed down the aperature a few stops if the plumage would be in better focus?

Whaddaya think? Any other thoughts?

Thanks, and happy shooting!

Larger size:
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/...0a3b3908_b.jpg

Handheld
    Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT
    Lens: Canon 75-300 f/5.6
    Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/1600)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 300 mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Exposure Bias: -2/3 EV
    Flash: Flash did not fire

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice find and setting. I like the raised foot and BG and agree that a head turn toward you would have helped. A lower angle would have been good for a better separation between rock and body, closer proximity/longer focal length would have been good, too. I would also crop tighter since the extra space doesn't add much to the image. You can post images up to 800 pixels, which makes it easier to comment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done by Axel. I would add that with the bird relatively small in the frame and far from you there would be no need at all to stop down. DOF is most important when you are working point blank with large in the frame subjects. At this distance these would have been more than enough DOF to cover the bird.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like that there is action and space for him to flow into. I too would like to see a lower point of view and the head turned more towards you. I know how hard that can be with these guys. They always seem be shy about showing their faces. Nice exposure on feathers.

Tim

Sean McMahon

Thanks everyone. I agree with the benefits of a lower angle. Still learning. This was taken this summer.

This winter I looked down at the wet snow and was wishing I brought a tarp to lay down on!

I see about the DOF. I do also need some better glass. 300mm certainly didn't fill the frame.

Art, on the DOF, do you think it's just motion blur on the feathers causing the softness?

Thanks again, all.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sean wrote: "Art, on the DOF, do you think it's just motion blur on the feathers causing the softness?"

The bird is too small in the frame for me to tell.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.