Thread: Up, up and away

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Up, up and away

Attached Images Attached Images

D70s 70-200VR 2X @400 1/1600 f5.6 ISO400 0EV

This is from a week ago . . . not sure if it is a crow or a raven (I think crow). The guy came into view before I could adjust for EV. I have very few pictures of these birds (whatever they are); they are very skittish. I had to do a pretty heavy crop, too. Enough excuses . . . What do you think?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wendell:

Interesting pose, and I like the folded feet.

The image did suffer from the crop, and probably from the 2X TC as well. I get along pretty well with the 1.4, ok with 1.7, but just am not satisfied with my results from the 2.0, esp. not for a flying image.

The bird and head are angled a bit away. I might suggest a crop with a bit less to the rear, and a bit more in front as well.

The exposure actually looks pretty good, considering the overall image quality.

In regards to post processing, looks like a small halo around the bird.

Thanks for posting this fellow.

Cheers

Randy

Alfred Forns

Excellent critique Randy ! Fully agree !!

Wendell I'm amazed the lens was able to focus with the 2X !! The combo is capable of sharp images but the af suffers big time. As suggested the 1.7X will do better on both counts and the 1.4X will be great.

Wing position wise I like them fully up or down !! If it was my image I would keep till you nail one perfectly ... I have very few of those I really like, you go the motion first then exposure ... difficult bird !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randy and Alfred, for your comments. My dilemma (not uncommon for bird photographers) is that I do not have as much reach as I'd like, forcing me to crop heavily quite often. Any suggestions for a "cheap" long lens that might be better than my current setup -- 70-200+2X?

Lance Peters

hi Wendell - pretty much all covered aboove - only other thing I would add is SOFT LIGHT is the key with black birds.
    keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos

Hi Wendell,
    You did quite well in the capture, agree with the techs mentioned...your Nikkor 70-200mm VR will auto focus with all three tele converters, but for birds in flight, the Nikkor 2.0 T/C slows your lens down and you loose two full f/stops...I have the same lens you do, and it's tack sharp, however, My favorate combination on a budget is the Nikkor prime 300mm f/4 combined with a Nikkor 1.4 or a 1.7 T/C...it's lightening fast and the lens is razor sharp...this is what I use 90 percent of the time , with good results...:):cool:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gus, I've seen many examples of your much better than "good results." Thanks for your recommendation!!! If I get the money, I'll take the plunge . . .

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

you cant go wrong with that 300 f/4!! it's tack sharp. almost too sharp!!!!!