Thread: Kestrel Hover

John Harper

Default Kestrel Hover

Hi There

Another shot of "Marley" the Kestrel this time in a hover, alas the weather is back to standard UK cloudy and dark rather than sunshine. This is also with the 1DMKIIN so the high ISO performance is not as good as the MKIII.

John

EOS1D MKIIN
    EF500 F4L
    ISO 800
    1/1600 @ F4

Brian Wong

Hi John!

I really love the action you have here! I'm not the greatest in composition, but maybe have the subject a tad higher in the frame? (to fly diagonally down to the lower right corner. The white bright background (to the left) tends to bring my eye there. If you are not opposed, cloning that part of the background is not too difficult ... or perhaps try darkening it a bit. That said, I like it!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    The dull weather can be depressing....but with images such as this, I'd be cheered up quickly. I like Brian's suggestion of placement of the bird. The detail and exposure is perfect.....and colors are wonderful. Have you ever tried to use flash with these birds? I always like a catchlight in the eye and a little fill flash would certainly do the trick. Well done.....as always.

Dick Boone

Default Kestrel Hover

John, you should name him "Marley the Magnificent" because he surely is. And your image of him is wonderful. The upper left brightness is a distraction, but that can easily be resolved, as already stated. I wish this image were mine. :D

God bless.....Dick

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Wong View Post
    Hi John!

I really love the action you have here! I'm not the greatest in composition, but maybe have the subject a tad higher in the frame? (to fly diagonally down to the lower right corner. The white bright background (to the left) tends to bring my eye there. If you are not opposed, cloning that part of the background is not too difficult ... or perhaps try darkening it a bit. That said, I like it!
    Hi Brian

Thanks for taking a look i have re cropped the image, not sure if maybe its too tight now, but i post it below for comments.

John

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    This feels like when I'm rearranging the furniture. I think something will look good in a different place and have my husband move it. Then I think....no....it would look better over there....no.....and I end up where it started. I thought it might look better higher up but after seeing the repost, I think I like the original better. Maybe it's because this one does seem a bit tight. Also, there was some noise in the last image and this crop made it much more noticeable.