Thread: PA Osprey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default PA Osprey

Attached Images Attached Images

I frequently travel to the Philadelphia International Airport to try and photograph hawks since there's a great access road which runs around the perimeter, and some marshlands and the Delaware River nearby. I shot this osprey last weekend...one of the first flight images made with my 100-400 on a 40D. Although the image is acceptable to me, I have to remember to turn the IS off, and I'd like to get a little more feather-detail, especially in the breast area. This image was made at 12:28 pm EDT; ISO 400, 1/1600 @ f7.1, AI Servo... Critiques welcome.

Lance Peters

HI Chris - love that wing span and teh fanned out tail and the blue sky compliments the bird nicely.

Harsh light was your main enemy here - softer light is the key, also for that KILLER image the head needs to be visible and preferably turned towards the camera - eye contact is fairly important as it gives the viewer connection to the subject in the photo.

Keep them coming

Gus Cobos

Hi Chris,
    I like the wide spread wing and the angle of capture. I would have liked to have seen the bird with a better head angle...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Chris, looks like you got everything but the HA.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

chris, take lots of photos!! luck will go your way the more times you have a go at it. just make sure to get a day when you have the sun and wind at your back. will have the most success with those conditions!!!!

Alfred Forns

Hi Chris Harsh light and head angle !! Just those changes. You did get a superb wing position ... assume this is a crop from a horizontal?

Should include exp comp if you can. From the looks of it its 1/3 under meter reading ( or close) With the bird banking like it is looks like a reasonable exp. If it were coming more over you then you are shooting the shaded side of the bird and would have to over expose .... but might get you in trouble with the top of the head ... softer light is the key !!! I like it a lot !!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Yes, it was that harsh mid-day sun that got me... . I had some similar images in that group with the head turned but when I enlarged them up to edit, they weren't adequately sharp. I went to a new place today for osprey though and after I get through the 12GB (!!) of images, I'll post some.

Chris