Thread: High Key Bald Eagle

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High Key Bald Eagle

Attached Images Attached Images

Yesterday I was passing a private local reservoir when I spied a large bird in a tree next to the edge of the dam. My brain slowly clicked with the recognition that it was a Bald Eagle. Since it is private this was the only angle that I could get. Sometimes you have to take what you are given.

Conditions were high fog hence the high key

Canon 50D
    Canon 100-400 @400
    F14.0 @ 1/16,000 sec.
    Handheld and braced on car roof. It flew off after i set up the tripod as slowly as I could :(
    50% crop

All cc appreciated.

God bless

chris

Lance Peters

Hi Chris - love the high key effect and a nice find. Like the pose and the head angle.

Image looks a little soft and a little noisy on my screen - some thing off with the specs you posted 1/16000 at f14??? Thinking a slow shutter speed may not have helped you much here. Also did you hav ethe card turned off when you took the shot??

As presented needs some additional sharpening and a boost in contrast - just a litle flat, some sharpening of the eye will aslo help. (Branch in front of the birs is not ideal - but as you mentioned no other option)
    keep them coming .

Gus Cobos

Hi Chris,
    I like the composition and capture...the high-key looks good, would selective sharpen the eye and adjust your saturation and contrast levels...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Dave Phillips

very nice....the main problem I see is excessive noise from opening up underexposed feathers

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice perch and HA Chris. I am seeing noise too. Lance has covered the other techs. Did well to get a shot off though.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

agree with the noise issue. hard bird to properly expose without soft light. i like the perch. just would like to see the bird a little more on the right of the frame to give it room to look into on the left.

Alfred Forns

I'm sure the tech is a misprint !!! Do give us the exp comp, makes it easier for evaluating !!! For this conditions you normally expose two over ambient or more. I'm usually at + 2 2/3 The histogram will look funny since the sky will be blown out totally.... but not the bird !!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the input. I went back and looked at the EXIF data and yes it is a misprint. It a a shutter speed of 1,600th of a sec. I overexposed the image by only 1 stop. Still working on noise and sharpening. I think i get more comments on those two things more than anything else. Obviously that means I need to really focus on that and a few other things.

Thanks,

chris