Thread: The Gathering

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Gathering

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello again and thanks for the posting help. I am starting to get it now. Been shooting a long time, but computereese are sometimes beyond me in the beginning. Just went digital this past year and enjoy the low cost shooting it provides.

This shot was taken at Lion Country Safari, West Palm Beach. While it is a wildlife park, the Ibis just flew in for a rest and are not captive to the park.

We enjoy shooting there when time or other restraints prevent us getting out in the wild. It is refreshing to just enjoy the shooting and the animals, though the images for the most part are not "natural".

The image was shot in the afternoon. Camera was Canon 5D with EF35-350/3.5-5.6L USM. In Manual Mode; Shutter Speed 1/1600Sec; Aperture F8.0; Exposure Compensation 0; ISO Speed 400.

Alfred Forns

Hi Mark Would try posting at the max size (or little larger) tough figuring out what is going on specially with a pano type image .

Presentation looks very nice, you got clean borders on both ends (really good) no birds cut off but can't tell much about detail or exp at the posted size. Reflection sees very nice and looks like a good image !! btw haven't been to that park for years ... glad is still around !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The Gathering

Thanks Alfred,

First, LCS has and is under major reconstruction with many changes due to the recent huricanes that hit there. But it is coming back and is a great place for photogs to sharpen their knowledge of the camera, which I have with my new digital. Worth the trip. The one regret I have with the changes is that the lions are now behind a cyclone fence, so images are not easy, though I have gotten a few with proper use of the lighting and aperatures.

I upsized the image, but I am on the fringe of the standards. Still a little unsure on the sizing. I get a +/- 711 KB image indication in my Adobe Photo Delux, but when I upload it, it is +/- 46 KB. The minor adjustment that I've tried have put it over the size permitted to +/- 3330 x 1300. Hope this is better for viewing and if you have any other info on sizing, between the program and the site, it would help.

I cropped the image to get rid of the fencing and to improve the composition. It was nice but the background did not match the subject and was a major distraction. I like to look at the images I get and try to find the best placement for the subject. While techically I think you will find some issues, I think the composition is good on this one. Hope you agree! :)

Again, appreciate your help and suggestions to date. Enjoy the site and though new, I hope to find more here as I explore it's vastness.

Make A Great Day!

Mark

Alfred Forns

Hi Mark We got some tutorials on how to prepare images for posting Might want to look If yo you need help send me a pm and will help.

Basically you can go 1024 for the length so it can be a lot bigger.

Gus Cobos

I like the composition Mark,
    Agree with Mr. Forns on the techs...would help to see this at a higher resolution...:cool:

Lance Peters

H Mark - like the somposition - but agree needs to be bigger - go the whole 1024!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Cobos View Post
    I like the composition Mark,
    Agree with Mr. Forns on the techs...would help to see this at a higher resolution...:cool:
    Thanks Gus and all.

It was really tough getting that lone imature Ibis to pose. However, patience and practice, practice, practice! :)

Will try it again. Keep getting error messages, but I have Fabs post so will try that to see if I can bypass the errors.

Ok try this one. I set 800 for the width. Seem to have done it. The 1020 setting was off the page...

One last comment on it, before you do.

As you are not able to exit the vehicles at LCS, I use a window mount that costs about $2. A friend showed me it a few years ago and maybe some of you will want to consider it as it fits along side the seat or other locations. Not only is it cheaper than a standard window mount, but I find it a lot easier to maneuver the camera for shots, if the subject moves. It's a piece of neoprene pipe wrap that comes slit on one side so you just place it on the window and adjust up or down as needed. I found putting a slight downward pressure on the lens helps steady it and of course you turn off the engine and tell your car mates to SIT STILL! Just an added thought for your patience with this image.

Mark