Thread: Big Mama

Bill McCrystyn

Default Big Mama

Attached Images Attached Images

20D 100-400L IS EFL640 @ ISO400 F/8 1/500 PARTIAL HANDHELD 100% CROP

Hansome and somewhat regal herself, she awaits two suitors out of the frame. The late afternoon lighting gave a three dimensional quality to the tips of the primary feathers.

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice pose but the steep angle and heavy crop are less than ideal. The plumage looks rather soft on my monitor.

Fabs Forns

Hi Bill, I don't understand 100% crop, do you mean un-cropped?

Jody Melanson

I like the coloured BG. The BG however is very noisy and the branches in the BG, I find rather distracting. Agree with Axel on other points....

Bill McCrystyn

Default Full Frame

Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry guys, by 100% I mean I either zoom to 100% and crop that screen or use the rectangle marque tool and ruler and cut out a 12x18 part of the image to edit and print from. This may account for my "softness" and "noise" allot of times. As Artie once said "that's a huge crop". At 61 / 270 lbs I either need to get much bigger glass (the plan) or wear more camo. :) Your critiques are correct and appreciated and are making me aware I need to make some changes. Thank you.

As far as the steep angle I have had this critiqued before and in many cases is just an art preferance I implore. No offense but I think thirds and off center are nice "rules of thumb" but not a hard and fast rule. In my opinion a flying bird on top of the frame with sky below sometimes looks better than above. It's all perspective and personal taste. On these matters I usually defer to my son in his 4th year at the University of North Texas in Art and Commercial Graphics who "generally" :) agrees with my framing. No PP has been applied to the image below.
    Last edited by Bill McCrystyn; 01-29-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Bill McCrystyn

Does anyone think I should have left this frame whole "uncropped" and that it would stand on it's own. "Subjective" opinions welcome. :) I think sometimes I try to crop in too close and tight with 8 mega pixels (yes I'm in awe of Jims 100-400mm images) and ruin, the pardon me, shot.
    Last edited by Bill McCrystyn; 01-29-2008 at 12:55 PM.