Thread: Smiling Snowy Owl Flight - (SOC) "Straight out of Camera Assignment"

Brian Wong

Default Smiling Snowy Owl Flight - (SOC) "Straight out of Camera Assignment"

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS 40D, 500/4
    1/4000, f/5.6, ISO 400, handheld, manual exposure metered on snow, and confirmed on histogram
    baited

Smiling Snowy Owl Flight - (SOC) "Straight out of Camera Assignment"

Image of Snowy Owl photographed last month in Quebec Canada.
    Reduced size JPEG copy SOC (so no cropping, no sharpening, no noise reduction, no processing, etc... except added copyright).

I like this happy image as it brings me a great big smile! Maybe need slightly more light ....

Although I would like to think that he/she was "Happy to see me", the Snowy Owl may actually be ready to barf!! It am told that they do regurgitate the undigested bones, feathers and fur.

Does it help, or any interest if a processed version for comparison is also posted?

Thank you for looking, and your suggestions are always appreciated.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet Capture Brian ,hope you had a good time in Québec wile you were here.

Gus Cobos

Well done Brian,
    I like the capture and the placement of your subject in frame...now all that's needed are the minor post processing tweaks...congrats...:cool:

Alfred Forns

Would love to see the worked image also Brian !! Never gotten one of these and can't wait for the first one !!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice capture Brian. Good job with the 500 hand-held. Looks like you got a nice boost from the snow for the under-wing light. Thanks for sharing!

Brian Wong

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Forns View Post
    Would love to see the worked image also Brian !! Never gotten one of these and can't wait for the first one !!!
    Thank you everybody for all the substantive feedback.

Hi Alfred!

This assignment is a wonderful exercise, and a nice opportunity to explore, look critically, and share different ideas. Appreciate any comments, or different variations, or artistic opinions. Trying to express these ideas in words is a very good learning experience! Sharing my current processed vision:

First rotated and slightly leveled the owl in flight. I decided that I liked the owl flying to my left, so I flipped the image, and cropped the right and bottom side (to place the owl on the lower right power point, and having the owl fly "upward" into the negative space). I did crop tight, hopefully to show-off more details in the face. Performed the usual levels & curves adjustments to expand out the range. Some noise reduction and blur to the sky. Slightly warmer temperature to the owl. Also tried to lighten up the shadow under the wing. I worked the pupils some, trying to achieve a more intimate contact as it is flying toward us. Finally sharpened the owl to taste. Before/After attempt in trying to improve upon, and making the image stand out.

I still get a joy, and crack-up looking at the owl's expression!

david cramer

Nice work on initial capture and post processing. I like the way you've composed the final image. I bet it is getting ready to regurgitate parts of the last meal.

Nonda Surratt

Nice one and love what you did in post, the flip works!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Brian. Must be thrilling to get a shot like this! Well done, very sharp!

Lance Peters

Hi Brian - well done - like the final repost looks good, not sure about the flip but that is probaly just my personal ethics - well done !