Thread: Powerful Owl with dinner/brekkie.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Default Powerful Owl with dinner/brekkie.

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured in a leafy central Sydney suburb inside the confines of a public garden. The day I captured this was my first time seeing this owl species, the largest on our Aussie continent and a member of the Hawk Owl genus of Ninox. These guys stand at about two feet tall, with talons big enough to incapacitate their favorite prey - Ringtail possums - but should one try and handle these birds, those talons could inflict some severe damage to the person's arm or hands! They are indeed, very powerful.

This day, it was raining, quite heavily and I must than a friend of mine - Alex Zografos - who so unselfishly held an umbrella for me while I shot away like an excited little child. He has seen the species often enough previously or such was his reason.

The possum was most likely caught just before dawn, and come dusk the owl usually finishes it off before departing for another night's assault on the suburban trees' dwellers.

30D, 300mm f/4L IS USM, ISO 1000, f/5.6, 1/50th, 430EX at zero with beamer, tripod, remote release. From memory I cropped about 20%. Also, I tried to get the best position to eliminate as much of the encroaching OOF fern leaf as possible but it is still sadly visible.

Gus Cobos

This is fantastic Akos,
    The bird is placed just right in frame, the eyes are sharp and he has his dinner...well done, after you process this for presentation, it's going to be a very fine image...congrats...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Nonda Surratt

Wow those eyes! Really wonderful image Akos

Alfred Forns

The owl thinks you want the dinner ... has its eyes fixed on you :) I'm sure it was an exciting capture and you lucked out with the rain to lower contrast !!! Best image you could have made from your position !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Akos, Great capture!! Nice friend!!

Oscar Zangroniz

The eyes tell the story my friend.
    Congrats on an awesome capture.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb Capture Akos , he really must be a powerful Owl by the size of his prey. Well Captured :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ákos, excellent capture and presentation! I love the composition and engagement with the bird.

That owl does look fixated on you. Must be that Canon lens color - looks like another possum!

Ákos Lumnitzer

Quote Originally Posted by Gus Cobos View Post
    This is fantastic Akos,
    after you process this for presentation, it's going to be a very fine image...congrats...looking forward to your next one...:cool:
    Hi Gus, this is after PP. You would probably be a bit shocked at the RAW file. :)

Jeni Williams

Attached Images Attached Images

Think this is more or less what I'd try to do. (Guess who's just learned to copy and do layer masks;))

Lance Peters

Hi Akos - nice find - love the action and the composition - I doubt you could have done any better from your position.
    Jeni's repost does improve by way of removing the OOF oreground elements. Nice job !!