Thread: Australasian Grebe

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Australasian Grebe

Attached Images Attached Images

Found a pair of these guys in a very small pond in a new housing estate, so easy to get closer to than normal (though still not frame-fillers ;)). Recent rain drops on the water added a bit of atmosphere I thought...comments welcome.

Taken with Canon 20D, 500 f/4, 1.4x TC, ISO 400, 1/250, f /6.3, AV, -1/3.

Axel Hildebrandt

Great angle and attentive pose of this pretty bird. I find the white spots quite distracting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very lovely. Great on the head turn and exposure. I can live with the specular highlights. Might go with more off the bottom as the complete head reflection is not there...

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Alfred Forns

I like the shadow detail and pose Agree on cropping some of the reflection

Fabs Forns

As one who loves specular highlights, I love the ones in the background, but get distracted with the ones in the front, maybe because they are bolder.
    Cropping a bit may help,a dn I would treat the right bright ones as sensor dust: out!

Robert Hawkins

Nice image. I have one I took in 2005. Unfortunately it was not as good. Robert Hawkins, New Member

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the alert pose and that the image is sharp and well exposed - it's ever so easy to overexpose that yellow bill spot - no evidence of that here. It seems specular highlights are an aquired taste.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and composition as well as the the colour of the water, the ripples have a nice effect in the overall shot. I also find the highlights distracting.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Thanks for the great feedback. Have done a quick and dirty job to try to utilise your suggestions...a bit of noise now but have run out of time for the moment to fiddle much more (and don't have a NR plug-in...yet!). Thanks again.

Cheers, Dean

Glenn Ehmke

This is a most pleasing improvement Dean, that noise should be easy to fix up. Nice job. Might be nice to keep a bit more of the reflection though......

Axel Hildebrandt

Definitely improved over the original post, Dean.