Thread: Plover

James Boland

Default Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

I had stopped to take photos of a flock of Skimmers that have arrived in the Titusville, Fl area. It was early morning so I positioned myself to have the sun at my back and shadow pointing toward the subject. There was just one small detail. There was a wind from the west so mostly what I saw was the back side of the skimmers. However, down by the water's edge these plovers were busily foraging through the shoreline. They were not particular about which way the wind was blowing. As a result, I came away with this photo and story.

Canon EOS 40D. Canon 500mm f/4 lens with 1.4X extension. The bird was 37 meters distance. Shutter speed 1/500 sec f/7.1. Av mode. Exposure comp +2/3. ISO 800.

I look forward to your comments.

Jim

Alfred Forns

Hi Jim Wind form the wrong direction will drive you crazy regarding bird stance !!!

As presented would crop some from the bottom I like the inclusion of the bg birds but would like to have them in better position with the heads up and looking our way !!

btw did you see all the skimmers at the parking lot just over the bridge !!! Wild !!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

agree with the crop suggestion. the two birds in the bg nicely frame the bird. nice job!!

James Boland

Yes I did. I had photographed some in the boat ramp parking lot this past Friday. They were packed close together and I did not get a shot without them blending together. Monday, they were near shore on the east side of the bridge. I had seen Skimmers here last year and have been looking forward to their return. I will be back out to photograph them again. Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree on the crop suggestion and will add that the BG could use a little noise reduction. Good pose and nice details on the bird.

Gus Cobos

Hi James,
    I like the composition and capture...agree with the techs. mentioned, just wished for a better head angle...:cool:

Lance Peters

Hi james - nice bird - agree with the techs mentioned above - I'm with GUs on ths one a better head angle would have been good.
    Would also crop some from the bottom and run some NR. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose on the bird James, other techs covered. Exposure looks good.